Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

William John Gerbes Jr., 54, city police...


William John Gerbes Jr., 54, city police officer

William John Gerbes Jr., a retired Baltimore police officer who spent most of his career patrolling Reservoir Hill, died of cancer Thursday at his home in Ocean City. He was 54.

Mr. Gerbes was reared in Northeast Baltimore, where he attended Blessed Sacrament Elementary School. After graduating from Calvert Hall, he joined the Marine Corps in 1967 and spent four years as an air traffic controller in California and Japan.

After receiving his discharge in 1971, he attended University of Baltimore before joining the Police Department. Assigned to the Central District, Mr. Gerbes spent the next 29 years there.

He was found to have cancer in 1998, and he retired last year.

He was active in St. Luke's Catholic Church in Ocean City and belonged to the Baltimore Retired Police Benevolent Association, the American Legion and the 3Fs Society of Ocean City.

Services for Mr. Gerbes will be held at 11 a.m. today at Schimunek Funeral Home, 9705 Belair Road. Interment will follow in Moreland Memorial Park Cemetery on Taylor Avenue.

Mr. Gerbes is survived by his wife of 22 years, Mary Lou Riggio Gerbes; a stepdaughter, Lisa Price of Baltimore; a stepson, Frank Riggio Jr. of Ona, W.Va.; a brother, James Richard Gerbes of Baltimore; and three grandchildren.

Lynne Loomis Norton, 64, practiced tax, family law

Lynne Loomis Norton, a lawyer with a private practice in tax and family matters, died Wednesday of complications from dementia at Howard County General Hospital. The Marriottsville resident was 64.

A 1982 graduate of the University of Baltimore School of Law, she practiced law from home until illness caused her to retire in 1994.

She was a 1955 graduate of Worthington High School in suburban Columbus, Ohio, and a 1960 graduate of Ohio State University. She worked for the U.S. Department of Education in Washington, and later as an auditor for the Internal Revenue Service and the Department of Energy in Baltimore.

She enjoyed horseback riding, camping, bird-watching and gardening.

Plans for a memorial service are incomplete.

She was a daughter of Anita F. and the late John D. Loomis of Worthington, Ohio.

In addition to her mother, she is survived by her husband of 40 years, Robert S. Norton of Marriottsville; a son, Bruce Norton of Laurel; and two sisters, Frederica Spurgeon and Jeanne Taynor, both of suburban Columbus, Ohio.

Sanford N. Pressman, 68, volunteer, restaurateur

Sanford Neil Pressman, a Jewish Family Services volunteer and former restaurateur, died Sunday of pneumonia at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. He was 68.

As a volunteer for the "Mitzvah Mobility" program since 1993, he drove Jewish Family Services clients to and from medical appointments nearly every weekday, through February, when he became ill.

A stroke in 1988 left him with limited speech and little use of his right arm and leg. Intensive therapy enabled him to resume living independently, and he drove a specially adapted car.

Carol Sandler, volunteer coordinator for Jewish Family Services, said Mr. Pressman's determination was inspirational to many of the agency's clients who were frail or disabled.

"He was cheerful, very tenacious. The clients all enjoyed meeting him and were impressed by his good manners, his dignity and his eagerness to assist them," she said. "He was such a help to JFS clients."

He received a Channel 13 "Gold 13" award for volunteer work in 1995.

From 1980 to 1987, he owned and operated Jean Claude's restaurant in Harborplace. He also operated Baron's restaurant in Hunt Valley from 1987 to 1988.

He enjoyed duck hunting and watching movies, football and basketball.

"His most favorite thing in the world was to dance," said his daughter, Laura Pressman McNamara of Glen Rock, N.J. "He danced despite his stroke, he danced at my wedding."

Born in 1932 in Fairfield, Mr. Pressman was the youngest of 11 children of Mary and Hyman Pressman, who owned a grocery store in Fairfield. He graduated from Forest Park High School in 1950 and attended the University of Maryland.

He served in the Coast Guard from age 20 to 22 and was honorably discharged. He served in Cape May, N.J., and Norfolk, Va., and on weather ships.

A marriage in 1955 to Bluma Freedman ended in divorce.

From 1964 to 1980, he and a brother, Sol Pressman, operated the Meat Center in Catonsville. Before that, he was part of Pressman Brothers, a family grocery business in several locations around Baltimore.

Services will be at noon today at Beth El Memorial Park in Randallstown.

In addition to his daughter, he is survived by a sister, Katie Hackerman of Baltimore; two brothers, Coleman Pressman of Baltimore and Stanley Pressman of Scottsdale, Ariz.; and a grandson.

Helen E. Hoenes, 91, gardener, seamstress

Helen Elizabeth Hoenes, an expert gardener and seamstress from West Baltimore who volunteered her time to make clothes for migrant workers, died Thursday of a heart attack at Charlestown Retirement Community in Catonsville. She was 91.

Helen Weil was reared near Edmondson Village and would spend hours in and around the market stalls of her father's butcher business. After graduating from Western High School in 1926, she studied textiles and fashion design at the Baltimore Institute of Art.

In 1936, she married Vernon A. Hoenes -- an import agent with the B&O; Railroad whom she had met when the couple served in the wedding party of a mutual friend -- and moved to Arbutus. When Mr. Hoenes retired in 1966, the couple moved to Port St. Lucie, Fla.

There, Mrs. Hoenes joined the American Red Cross, volunteering her sewing skills to make clothes for migrant workers. She also developed a passion for butterflies and spent hours in her garden planting a variety of flowers to attract them.

"She was a gracious woman -- never employed -- just always a good mom and a great gardener," recalled her son, Richard V. Hoenes Sr. of Woodbine. "She was the center of the family all those years."

In 1992, Mrs. Hoenes returned to Maryland to be close to her family and took up residence at Charlestown Retirement Community, where she continued her activism in the Methodist church by assisting with communion at Sunday services at Our Lady of The Angels Chapel.

Mr. Hoenes died in 1976.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. today at Our Lady of The Angels, 715 Maiden Choice Lane in Catonsville, followed by interment at Western Cemetery on Edmondson Avenue in West Baltimore. Donations may be made in her name to the Charlestown Benevolent Society, 711 Maiden Choice Lane, Catonsville, Md., 21228.

In addition to her son, Mrs. Hoenes is survived by another son, Robert William Hoenes of Marietta, Ga., and five grandchildren.


Dr. Donald E. Campbell, 95, a small-town doctor who made house calls for more than a half-century and was a model for one of Norman Rockwell's most famous paintings, died May 14 at home in Stockbridge, Mass.

He was the only doctor in his small western Massachusetts community for decades. He did his own laboratory work and developed his own X-rays between examinations in his cluttered office on Main Street and continued to make house calls until he retired on his 83rd birthday.

Mr. Rockwell, a neighbor and patient, used the kindly doctor as a model for several illustrations, including "Before the Shot," which he painted for the cover of Saturday Evening Post magazine in 1958. The famous picture shows Dr. Campbell preparing a shot for a bare-bottomed youngster as the boy suspiciously examines his framed medical degrees.

In a 1989 interview, Dr. Campbell called Mr. Rockwell "shy, genial, happy and a noncomplainer."

Dr. Campbell charged $2 for an office visit and $3 for a home visit when he hung out his shingle in 1939 after graduating from Middlesex Medical School, now Brandeis University. He often took his fee in vegetables, venison or firewood. Although his office hours ended at 4:30 p.m., longtime patients knew he was also available after supper.

Before the town had an ambulance squad, he was the first one police called to accident scenes. Generations of children brought him their sick dogs, birds and turtles, which he treated.

H. Dewayne Kreager, 88, a former White House economic staffer and banker who played a key role in organizing the 1962 World's Fair in Seattle, died May 6 of complications from a stroke.

From 1947 to 1953, he worked in the executive office and on the White House staff of President Harry S. Truman.

John Lyman, 79, a biomedical engineer who created more comfortable and maneuverable artificial limbs, died of cancer May 3 in Los Angeles.

Mr. Lyman analyzed upper-limb motion and the bioelectric properties of muscles to devise new types of hands, arms and other artificial limbs by combining lightweight materials with strong, multistrand control cables that could respond to human movement.

Susannah McCorkle, 55, a jazz and cabaret singer who performed in major clubs and concert halls throughout the country, died Saturday in New York.

A preliminary investigation indicated that she jumped to her death from her Manhattan apartment, police said.

Miss McCorkle was known for a gimmick-free style that evoked warmth and humor, and for an ability to convey a wide range of emotions across a repertoire of more than 2,000 songs.

She was also an accomplished writer, with work published in The O. Henry Awards Prize Stories, New York magazine, Newsday, and Cosmopolitan. She was working on a novel at the time of her death.

Dr. Walker Reynolds Jr., 85, a surgeon noted for 57 medical inventions, including the use of staples and clips for surgery instead of sutures, died Thursday in Anniston, Ala.

Dr. Reynolds held patents on eight inventions. He also invented 42 operating procedures, according to a colleague, retired Dr. Warren Sarrell.

Hiram Z. Mendow, 107, who defended Al Capone and other mobsters during Prohibition and was practicing law at age 100, died May 11 at a retirement home in La Jolla, Calif.

He lived in Minneapolis until he was 100 and earned a national reputation by defending bootleggers and gangsters, including Mr. Capone.

His best-known case, however, involved an American Indian accused of killing a man during a 1935 riot in Minneapolis. A photograph in Time magazine showed the man wielding a baseball bat above someone lying on the ground.

Mr. Mendow produced the supposed murder victim, who turned out to be alive.

Sean Mac Stiofain, 73, a leader in forming the modern Irish Republican Army, died Thursday in Dublin. He had suffered a stroke in the mid-1980s and had been in declining health for years.

Mr. Mac Stiofain served as chief of staff, the senior post in the Provisional IRA, after its formation in 1970 in reaction to sectarian violence in Northern Ireland and the deployment of British troops there.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad