Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Henry Ring, 96, executive for Pennsylvania RailroadHenry...


Henry Ring, 96, executive for Pennsylvania Railroad

Henry W. Ring, a veteran Pennsylvania Railroad executive, died Thursday of melanoma at the Hunt Valley home of a daughter. He was 96.

Mr. Ring, who had lived in Hunt Valley for the past 10 years and earlier in Baltimore, retired from Pennsylvania Railroad in 1966.

He began his 44-year railroad career as a messenger in 1921, working in the freight department of the Pennsy in Chicago.

He later joined the railroad's passenger department and worked in Detroit, Texas and Indianapolis before he was promoted to general passenger agent in Washington in 1959.

In 1961, he was named Baltimore general passenger manager and worked in the city's Pennsylvania Station. His final promotion was in 1963 as passenger agent for the railroad's Chesapeake Region. Based in Philadelphia, he spent the final three years of his career at Pennsylvania Railroad's 30th Street Station until he retired in 1966.

"He loved the Pennsylvania Railroad, and it was the only railroad he ever worked for," said his daughter, Susan Monaghan of Hunt Valley.

One of the highlights of his career, family members said, was arranging trains for Nikita Khrushchev and Fidel Castro that conveyed them from Washington to New York in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

His professional memberships included the Traffic Club of Washington, Washington Passenger Association, Medinah Temple and Transportation Shrine Club of Chicago, the American Association of Passenger Traffic Officers and Philadelphia Passenger Association.

Mr. Ring enjoyed traveling by train and collecting railroad books.

He was born in Halmstad, Sweden, and immigrated with his family to New York, landing at Ellis Island in 1915. He was raised in Chicago, where he graduated from high school.

Mr. Ring, who lived in Fort Lauderdale for 26 years after his retirement, also was a member of the National Press Club and the Skal Club.

Services were held Sunday.

He is survived by his wife of 66 years, the former Glenna Carmack; two other daughters, Sandra Drabek of Adrian, Mich., and Ellen Holtje of Kensington; six grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Sheldon B. Seidel, 75, longtime Salisbury lawyer

Sheldon B. Seidel, who practiced law for nearly 50 years in Salisbury, died Friday of a heart attack at Peninsula Regional Medical Center. He was 75.

A lifelong Salisbury resident, Mr. Seidel retired last year from the practice of law. He served as Wicomico County's attorney from 1974 to 1989.

After graduation from Wicomico High School, he began his college education at the University of Maryland, College Park. In 1943, he enlisted in the Army and served with the 104th Infantry Division in Europe until being discharged with the rank of sergeant at war's end. His decorations included the Bronze Star and Purple Heart.

He earned his bachelor's degree from the University of Maryland, College Park in 1947 and his law degree from the University of Maryland School of Law in 1950.

He was a member of the Maryland State and Wicomico County bar associations.

Mr. Seidel enjoyed fishing and the practice of law, said family members.

He was a member of Beth Israel Synagogue in Salisbury.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at Holloway Funeral Home, 501 Snow Hill Road, Salisbury.

He is survived by his wife of 55 years, the former Charlotte Gordy; two daughters, Susan Seidel Tilghman and Sara F. Seidel, both of Salisbury; and four grandsons.

Helen T. Reid, 74, librarian at Rodgers Forge school

Helen T. Reid, former Baltimore County public school librarian and volunteer, died Friday of a heart attack at St. Joseph Medical Center. The longtime Rodgers Forge resident was 74.

For 21 years until retiring in the mid-1980s, Mrs. Reid had been librarian at Rodgers Forge Elementary School. She also volunteered for many years at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center and National Aquarium in Baltimore.

She was born Helen Thomas in Johnstown, Pa., and graduated from high school there. She earned her bachelor's degree in biology from the University of Pittsburgh.

Mrs. Reid liked collecting teddy bears, which she displayed in her Rodgers Forge home.

She was a former communicant of St. Pius X Roman Catholic Church.

A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at Mitchell-Wiedefeld Funeral Home Inc., 6500 York Road, Rodgers Forge.

She is survived by her husband of 50 years, Wallace Reid, retired Evening Sun copy editor; two sons, Michael C. Reid of Arcadia, Baltimore County and W. Bruce Reid of Vicksburg, Miss.; two daughters, Kerry Ann Reid of Eastham, Mass., and Julie Lynn Reid of Baltimore; a brother, Richard Thomas of Ocala, Fla.; and three grandchildren.


Wilson "Boozoo" Chavis, 70, a bandleader who was one of zydeco music's pioneers and most beloved characters, died Saturday in Austin, Texas, after a heart attack.

Mr. Chavis' 1955 single "Paper in My Shoe" is considered by many to be the first modern recording of zydeco, the rural south Louisiana music that is a close cousin of Cajun music.

After a long hiatus, he resumed his career in the mid-1980s and became an inspiration to many of the younger artists who fueled zydeco's renaissance.

Chavis finished recording an album for Rounder Records, with Cajun blues guitarist Sonny Landreth and fiddler David Greely, in April. His final performance was April 28 in Austin.

Morris Graves, 90, a founding member of the Northwest School of Art and the last of the "Northwest Mystics," died Saturday after a stroke at his home near Loleta, Calif.

Mr. Graves was the sole survivor of a group of four artists dubbed the "Mystic Painters of the Northwest" in a 1953 Life magazine piece.

He and the others -- Mark Tobey, Guy Anderson and Kenneth Callahan -- were known for a philosophy that combined Eastern religious beliefs and an appreciation for the natural world.

He had lived in California since the 1970s, painting flowers almost exclusively.

Jo-Jo Moore, 92, a perennial All-Star outfielder whose batting stroke and powerful arm helped the New York Giants win three pennants in the 1930s, died April 1 in Bryan, Texas.

Mr. Moore starred as the Giants' left fielder through the 1941 season, leading off in a lineup that had three future Hall of Famers: Bill Terry, Mel Ott and Travis Jackson. A left-handed batter known for swinging at first pitches, Mr. Moore batted over .300 five times and had a career average of .298. His best season was 1934, when he hit .331 and hit safely in 23 consecutive games. He was selected to the National League All-Star team from 1934 to 1938 and again in 1940.

In 1933, he tied a World Series record by getting two hits in one inning against the Washington Senators. Moore was so accustomed to swinging at first deliveries that opposing managers sometimes fined their pitchers if they yielded hits to him by making their first pitches too good. Nevertheless, Washington's Alvin Crowder yielded a pair of first-pitch singles to Mr. Moore in a six-run sixth inning of Game 2. The Giants won the Series in five games.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad