The Howard County Health Department regularly inspects food establishments. Violation of any of eight "critical items" - those most likely to contribute to food-borne illness - requires immediate correction or closure of the establishment. Of the 37 facilities inspected from March 20 to April 16, seven were cited for such violations. The violations were corrected. The numbers correspond to descriptions of items below:
Bill Bateman's Bistro, 6040 Daybreak Circle, Clarksville (2, 4, 6)
Einstein Brothers Bagels, 9250 Baltimore National Pike, Ellicott City (8)
Hunan House, 11200 Scaggsville Road, Scaggsville (2, 5)
Lu & Joe's Inc., 1024 Ridge Road, Mount Airy (7)
Pasta Blitz, 5805 Clarksville Square, Clarksville (4)
Station House - Ledo Pizza, 11845 Route 216, Fulton (7)
Wendy's, 6355 Dobbin Road, Columbia (5)
1. Food obtained from approved sources.
2. Food protected from contamination, spoilage, adulteration.
3. Food workers: Proper hand-washing; restricted for infection or diarrhea.
4. Potentially hazardous foods cooled and refrigerated; adequate refrigeration equipment provided.
5. Potentially hazardous foods held to proper temperatures; adequate equipment provided.
6. Potentially hazardous foods cooked and reheated properly; adequate equipment provided.
7. Potable running water.
8. Sewage properly discharged.