Staffing company Allegis cuts 600

Allegis Group Inc., a national staffing company that was co-founded by Baltimore Ravens minority owner Stephen J. Bisciotti, announced yesterday that it has laid off 600 employees companywide, 200 of them at its Columbia and Linthicum offices and Hanover headquarters.

Executives blamed the national economic downturn for the layoffs.


Officials at the privately held venture, which has 9,300 employees in 30 states, said it was hurt by other companies' layoffs because corporations often will first cut contractors' positions - a move that leaves the staffing group without jobs to offer its workers.

But yesterday's cuts will keep Allegis profitable in the midst of the economic slowdown that has forced dozens of other large corporations to fire thousands of workers, a company spokesman said.


"We are a profitable company, we are not folding up shop or anything like that," said Chris Stevens, director of corporate communication. "It's just a measure we're taking."

Allegis, which likely is better known by its staffing company affiliates - Aerotek, TEKsystems, Onsite Companies and Maxim Group - has three local offices, one of them in the Columbia Gateway office park. The employees, who were notified yesterday that their last day would be Friday - were described mostly as "support staff," workers in the accounting, finance and human resources departments, Stevens said.

The employees were offered severance packages with pay, extended benefits and outplacement services, Stevens said.

Bisciotti bought 49 percent of the Ravens from Art Modell in March of last year for $275 million. He has an option to buy the remaining 51 percent from Modell.