Baltimore police identified yesterday the body of a man found dead of an apparent drug overdose Saturday in the bathroom of a fast-food restaurant on the east side.
John Puelzt, 41, of the 1700 block of Wentworth Road in Parkville, Baltimore County, was found dead about 9 p.m. Saturday at the KFC outlet in the 2900 block of Harford Road, police said.
Police said Puelzt was returning home from the Veterans Affairs Medical Center at Fort Howard sometime Thursday when he stopped inside the KFC to get a drink and use heroin.
He locked himself in the men's bathroom, where he suffered the overdose, said Detective Frank Miller of the homicide unit. He said a hypodermic needle was in Puelzt's arm. Employees did not check the bathroom until Saturday night, when a night manager discovered the corpse, Miller said.
A restaurant manger declined to comment yesterday, and KFC corporate officials yesterday did not return phone calls.
City health officials said the KFC likely violated no health rules, which only require employees to keep bathrooms clean and odor free. There are no regulations saying they must check restrooms daily.