Classic games


Some of the best games of the 100 played between Army and Navy:

1890: Navy 24, Army 0

WEST POINT, N.Y. -- This game was the first athletic competition in any sport between the academies. Cadet Dennis Michie (pronounced Mikey), although he had no permission, devised a plan to bring Navy to New York for a football game. Because his father was a professor at the academy, Michie used his influence to help gain the approval of the academic board and the superintendent. In the game, Red Emerich scored 20 of Navy's 24 points (touchdowns were worth four points).

1905: Navy 6, Army 6

PRINCETON, N.J. -- Princeton president Woodrow Wilson persuaded West Point and Annapolis officials to hold the game at his school, but the game was a logistical mess as a huge traffic jam resulted in both teams arriving late for the kickoff. Play was suspended with four minutes left because of darkness.

1926: Army 21, Navy 21

CHICAGO -- Army's first-year coach, Biff Jones, started his second-team units to give Navy a false sense of confidence, but early touchdown runs by the Mids' Henry Caldwell and James Schuber put his plan in jeopardy. The Cadets stormed back with three touchdowns, but they were worn out by the rally and allowed an 8-yard touchdown run by Navy's Alan Shapley in the fourth quarter. The tie, played before more than 100,000 at recently finished Soldier Field, spoiled Navy's hopes for a 10-win season, but the Mids still captured the national championship.

1946: Army 21, Navy 18

PHILADELPHIA -- After finishing second in the 1945 Associated Press poll, Navy returned just eight lettermen and came into the Army-Navy game at 1-7. Army, conversely, was ranked second in 1946 and was unbeaten in its past 27 games, including a 0-0 tie three weeks earlier against No. 1 Notre Dame. Navy, a 28-point underdog, trailed 21-6 at halftime before closing the gap to three in the third quarter. With 90 seconds left in Doc Blanchard and Glenn Davis' last game, Navy had first-and-goal at the 3. On third-and-goal, Bill Hawkins took the snap, charged toward the line and flipped the ball outside to halfback "Pistol" Pete Williams, who was stopped at the 5 by Barney Poole. Officials ruled in a long-since debated call that Williams was tackled in bounds, and the clock ran out before the offense could get off a fourth-down play.

1948: Army 21, Navy 21

PHILADELPHIA -- Army entered the season finale with an 8-0 record and came in as a 20-point favorite to 0-8 Navy. Bill Hawkins secured the tie with two plays: a 1-yard touchdown run and his breakup of a fourth-down pass from Arnold Galiffa to end the game. Because the game ended in a tie, a coin toss determined who would receive the game ball. Army won the toss, but three days later, it sent a package to Annapolis, with a note attached -- "This ball should be in your trophy case, not ours."

1954: Navy 27, Army 20

PHILADELPHIA -- Earle Smith caught two touchdown passes from George Welsh, helping No. 6 Navy defeat No. 5 Army in a game that pitted two offenses ranked in the top three in the nation. The Cadets rallied from down 14-6 to take a 20-14 second-half lead, but a 5-yard run by Welsh put the Mids back on top at 21-20. Smith caught a 5-yard pass for the final score, and the Mids preserved the victory with a goal-line stand in the fourth quarter.

1971: Army 24, Navy 23

PHILADELPHIA -- This game was the first to be decided by one point. After Army took a 16-0 lead in the first quarter, Navy scored the next 21 points, going ahead in the third quarter when Freddie Stuvek connected with Steve Odgen on a 12-yard pass. Navy was down by three when it got the ball back at the Army 39 with two minutes remaining. Stuvek drove his offense to the 7 and appeared to pick up 6 more yards on an option pitch to George Perry, but officials ruled that Stuvek's knee was down before he gave up the ball. Navy turned the ball over on downs, and Army punter Ron Dhnof ran off the final eight seconds in the end zone, giving Navy a safety but preserving Army's victory.

1989: Navy 19, Army 17

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- In the first game of the series at Giants Stadium, Frank Schenk hit a 32-yard field goal with 11 seconds left to cap Navy's come-from-behind victory. Down 14-9 in the third quarter, the Mids went up 16-14 on Rodney Purifoy's 3-yard scoring run. Army regained the lead on a 21-yard field goal by Keith Havenstrite with two minutes left in the third. Navy's winning drive began from its 22 with 5:02 left in the game.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad