Carol F. Jopling, 83, researcher, librarianCarol F....

THE BALTIMORE SUN

Carol F. Jopling, 83, researcher, librarian

Carol F. Jopling, a retired researcher, teacher, anthropologist and librarian, died Oct. 14 of a massive stroke at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda. She was 83.

The former Roland Park and Chestertown resident had been chief librarian for three years at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Balboa, Panama, at the time of her retirement in 1984.

A resident of Chevy Chase since last year, Mrs. Jopling was a social science reference librarian at the University of Maryland, College Park from 1960 to 1961, and later worked at the Library of Congress.

Her wide-ranging career as a librarian included stints at the Central Intelligence Agency and the U.S. Information Agency. From 1967 to 1969, she was social science bibliographer at the University of Massachusetts Library at Amherst.

In addition to her library work, Mrs. Jopling taught courses on primitive art, American Indian art, pre-Columbian art and anthropology from 1965 to 1976 at American University, Catholic University, University of Massachusetts-Amherst, Harvard University, North Adams (Mass.) State College and Tufts University.

Mrs. Jopling, who also wrote five books and numerous articles, was born Carol Farrington in Louisville, the daughter of a railroader.

Raised in Pasadena, Calif., she received her bachelor's degree in art history from Vassar College in 1938. She received a master's degree in library science in 1960, and a master's degree in anthropology in 1963, both from Catholic University. She received her doctorate in anthropology from the University of Massachusetts-Amherst in 1973.

Her 1940 marriage to Peter White Jopling, an aeronautical engineer, ended in divorce.

At her request, no services are planned.

She is survived by two sons, Morgan W. Jopling of Crofton and John P. Jopling of Needham, Mass.; a daughter, Hannah Jopling of Washington; and five grandchildren.

The Rev. Matthias W. Bott, 85, Methodist minister

The Rev. Matthias Whitfield Bott, retired pastor of Hiss United Methodist Church in Parkville, died Monday from complications of an infection at Greater Baltimore Medical Center in Towson. The Parkville resident was 85.

He had been pastor of Hiss United Methodist Church from 1979 until his retirement in 1984. Earlier, Mr. Bott had been pastor of United Methodist churches in Delta, Pa.; Beltsville; Hampstead and at Northwood-Appold United Methodist Church in Baltimore.

After retiring, Mr. Bott was visitation minister at Catonsville United Methodist Church, and later was grief counselor for the Evans Funeral Chapels in Parkville, Timonium and Bel Air until 1995.

Born in Durham County, England, Mr. Bott immigrated in 1926 to Grafton, W.Va., where he later graduated from high school. He was a 1935 graduate of the Salvation Army Training College and earned his bachelor's and master's degrees in history from the University of West Virginia.

He served the Salvation Army in Washington, West Virginia, Virginia and Baltimore before earning his master's degree in theology in 1950 from Westminster Theological Seminary in Westminster.

After receiving his Elders Orders in 1952, he began his ministerial career at Watson United Methodist Church in Fairmont, W.Va.

He had been a member of the Rotary, Kiwanis and Optimist clubs, the Delta-Cardiff Volunteer Fire Co. and the Birmingham Lodge A.F. & A.M. in Beltsville.

Mr. Bott enjoyed playing chess, bowling, archery, woodworking and rug weaving.

Services were held yesterday at Hiss United Methodist Church.

He is survived by his wife of 63 years, the former Elizabeth Jackson; a son, Dr. William K. Bott of Orlando, Fla.; two daughters, Karen J. Bott of Baltimore and Debbie J. Kempson of Waldorf; a brother, Leonard S. Bott of Morgantown, W.Va.; six grandchildren; and a great-grandson. A son, John Robert Bott, died in 1982.

John Marion Wood, 89, school educator, principal

John Marion Wood, retired Baltimore City public school educator and principal, died Monday of a stroke at his Northwest Baltimore home. He was 89.

Mr. Wood, who retired as principal of Joseph C. Briscoe Senior High School in West Baltimore in 1975 after a 40-year career in city public schools, was descended from a family of educators.

Born in Paris, Ky., Mr. Wood was the son of Francis Marion Wood, a prominent educator who was president of Kentucky State College, and Nellie Virgie Hughes Wood, who was head of the college's department of economics.

Francis M. Wood Alternative High School on North Calhoun Street in Baltimore is named for his father.

Mr. Wood was raised in Sugar Hill, the West Baltimore neighborhood, after his father was appointed director of the Baltimore's segregated "Colored Schools" in 1925.

While attending Frederick Douglass Senior High School, from which he graduated in 1929, Mr. Wood acquired the nickname of "Junky," for his habit of retrieving discarded notebooks from trash cans and using the blank pages.

He attended what was then Coppin Normal School, where he earned his teaching certificate, and graduated from Morgan State College in 1933 with a bachelor's degree in education. He later earned a master's degree in education from New York University.

He was married in 1953 to Dorothy Cooper, also an educator, who survives him.

Mr. Wood was a champion tennis player and duckpin bowler, who during his lifetime earned more than 70 trophies in the sports.

He also was actively involved in the 1948 effort that ended segregation of Druid Hill Park's tennis courts, where African-Americans and whites had been forbidden to play the sport together.

He also enjoyed playing poker and was a founder of the Baltimore Guardsmen, a social club. He was a former president and member of the area's Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity chapter and had served on the board of the local YMCA.

He was a member for 75 years of Union Baptist Church, 1219 Druid Hill Ave., where a memorial service will be held at noon today.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Wood is survived by two brothers, James E. "Biddy" Wood and Albert B. Wood, both of Baltimore; a sister, Iona W. Collins of Baltimore; an aunt, Dora Hutchinson of Baltimore; and many nieces and nephews.

Christine H. Anuszewski, 47, Army engineer

Christine Hughes Anuszewski, who was an engineer with the Baltimore District of the Army Corps of Engineers for 25 years, died Thursday of cancer at Joseph Richey Hospice in Baltimore. She was 47.

At the time of her death, the longtime Pasadena resident was chief of the design branch of the engineering division of the Army Corps of Engineers, where she began her career in 1975.

Christine Hughes was born and reared in Roanoke, Va., where she graduated from Patrick Henry High School. She earned her civil engineering degree from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in 1975, and a master's degree from the University of Maryland, College Park. She was a licensed professional engineer in the state of Maryland.

She enjoyed crocheting and collecting tea sets.

She was a member of Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church, 7436 Baltimore-Annapolis Blvd., Glen Burnie, where a memorial Mass will be offered at 1 p.m. Tuesday.

She is survived by her husband, Clinton L. Anuszewski Sr.; two sons, Clinton L. Anuszewski Jr. and Richard J. Anuszewski, both of Pasadena; a daughter, Erica W. Anuszewski of Pasadena; four brothers, Edward Hughes of Richmond, Va., Richard Hughes and Daniel Hughes, both of Roanoke, and Frank Hughes of Alexandria, Va.; and four sisters, Betty Jane Hughes of Newport News, Va., Jo Anne Hughes of Bear, Del., Bridget Buel of Jerusalem and Mary Perretz of Richmond, Va.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
34°