Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Walter W. Palucki, 57, truck driverWalter W....


Walter W. Palucki, 57, truck driver

Walter W. Palucki, a truck driver and former White Marsh resident, was killed Sept. 20 in an automobile accident in Harrison, Ark. He was 57.

Mr. Palucki, who had moved to Branson, Mo., in July, was employed as a dump truck driver for M.D. Excavating Co. in Branson.

Mr. Palucki, who had briefly been a Maryland state trooper in the early 1960s, had been a truck driver for W. T. Cowan Trucking Co. in Baltimore before going to work for Yellow Freight System Inc. in 1984.

During his nearly 16-year career with the company, he was given an award for his million-mile, accident-free record. The crash in which he died was not work-related.

He was a member of Teamsters Local 557.

Born and raised in East Baltimore, he was a 1961 graduate of Mount St. Joseph High School in Irvington.

He was married in 1962 to Carol Ann Ballweg, who died in 1982. He was married in 1984 to Nancy Sullivan, who survives him.

A memorial Mass will be offered at 10 a.m. Saturday at St. Casimir Roman Catholic Church, Kenwood Avenue and O'Donnell Street.

He is survived by two sons, John W. Palucki of Medina, Ohio, and Timothy D. Palucki of Big Pine Key, Fla.; two daughters, Christine Mitchell of Timonium and Deanna Rinker of Edgewood; two brothers, Jerry L. Palucki and Ted Palucki, both of Baltimore; four sisters, Patricia "P.J." Yost of Monkton, Deborah Williams of Maugansville, Jeanette M. Herman of Baltimore and Tina Marie Palucki of Charlotte, Mich.; a stepson, Jimmy McGuire of Big Pine Key, Fla.; three stepdaughters, Pamela McAlexander of Baldwin, Lori McGuire of Baltimore and Mary Virnig of Granite Falls, Minn.; and nine grandchildren.

Elly Duara, 82, avid reader, bridge player

Elly Duara, a former longtime resident of India, died Sunday of leukemia at her Mount Washington home. She was 82.

Mrs. Duara lived for 30 years in Shillong, India, where her husband, Hemendra Prasad Duara, whom she married in 1944, was labor commissioner of Assam. He died in 1992.

A Mount Washington resident since 1992, she became a U.S. citizen in 1997.

She was an avid reader and visited the Roland Avenue branch of the Enoch Pratt Free Library weekly. She also enjoyed playing bridge and played each Thursday at the Meyerhoff Senior Citizen Center in Pikesville. She also was a member of the Aunt Dorothy's Bridge Club.

She was born Elly Marder in Vienna, Austria, where she graduated from public schools.

A memorial service was held Tuesday.

She is survived by two sons, Dr. Ranjan Duara of Miami, Fla., and Ajit Duara of Pune, India; a daughter, Indira Kotval of Mount Washington; and a brother, Hans Marder of London.

Garet Ellis Winants, 76, equine photo firm partner

Garet Ellis Winants, a former thoroughbred trainer who became a partner in a noted equine photography firm, died Saturday of a heart attack at his Monkton home. He was 76.

Mr. Winants, whose life revolved around horses, was born and raised in Monkton. He was the stepson of steeplechase and fox-hunting rider Bryce Wing.

Mr. Winants attended Gilman School. After graduation from Millbrook School in New York in 1943, Mr. Winants drove ambulances during World War II for the American Field Service in Italy and India.

He learned the horse-breeding industry working on a farm in Kentucky, and later for Morris H. Dixon, a trainer of flat and steeplechase horses in Kennett Square, Pa.

Mr. Winants bred and trained a stable of horses until 1960, when he became a partner with his brother Peter Winants in Winants Bros. Inc., specialists in equine photography, at 1 Light St., in Baltimore.

Until the business closed in 1972, the brothers' work was published in prominent racing journals worldwide.

Mr. Winants returned to the world of steeplechase racing, buying horses that were trained by his godson Tom Voss.

One of his horses, Cookie, won the A. P. Smithwick Memorial Steeplechase at Belmont Park in 1980 and eventually won 25 races.

As a young man, Mr. Winants learned he had multiple sclerosis, a disease he refused to let interfere with his vigorous lifestyle.

"He played football in high school and, as an adult, thrived on the physical work that is required around a racing barn and in the countryside. He died while carrying firewood into the house," said his longtime friend Patrick Smithwick of Baltimore.

Services for Mr. Winants were held yesterday at St. James Episcopal Church in Monkton, where he was a communicant.

He is survived by his brother, Peter Winants of Middleburg, Va.; three nephews; and a niece.

Sylvia V. Leacock, 96, seamstress, nurse

Sylvia V. Leacock, a former certified midwife and nurse, died Friday of heart failure at Heritage Harbor Health and Rehabilitation Center in Annapolis. She was 96.

Sylvia V. Alkins was born and raised in Christ Church Parish in Barbados, where she graduated from local schools and earned her certificate in midwifery.

Before moving to New York City in the late 1920s, she worked at St. Michael's Central Almshouse in Barbados. She became a U.S. citizen in 1941 and worked as a seamstress until she retired in 1967.

A Northwest Baltimore resident since 1995, she was married in 1932 to Ferdinand S. Leacock, who died in 1962.

The family will receive friends from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. today at James A. Morton & Sons Funeral Home, 1701 Laurens St., Baltimore. Burial will be in Barbados.

She is survived by her son, Ferdinand S. Leacock Jr. of Baltimore; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad