Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Virginia's Lange scores KO of Carter


His matinee-idol features give Virginia native Jimmy Lange a soft appearance, but looks can be deceiving.

The super welterweight used a powerful left-right combination to score his ninth knockout at 1:22 of the third round over North Carolina's light-hitting Kevin Carter as part of a six-bout card before a packed house at Michael's Eighth Avenue last night.

Lange (12-1-1), whose fight was scheduled to go six rounds, had fought once this year, in March, and was recovering from a broken right hand suffered in that fight.

But he had prepared for the bout by sparring 15 rounds with middleweight champ William Joppy of Washington, D.C.

Lange, a part-time model, now seems ready to take a step up in class. He's being trained by Pepe Correia, who has worked with champions Lennox Lewis, Sugar Ray Leonard, Simon Brown and Maurice Blocker.

"My hand was fine," Lange said. "I tried to [be] patient, land the right punch. He was a good fighter, but I knew he was going down. It was only a matter of where and when."

The main event featured Laurel welterweight Del "The Hatchett" Matchett (13-1-1, eight knockouts) against New Jersey's Jamar Carter (12-2, three KOs). Matchett won unanimously, 97-93, 97-94, 96-94.

Nebraskan super middleweight Tyler Hughes (15-12, four KOs) entered the ring to country music while wearing a cowboy hat. But against Derrick Whitley (11-14, five KOs) of Holyoke, Mass., he came a long way only to go out beneath a barrage of punches 35 seconds into the eighth and final round.

"I wanted to attack the body, send everything straight down the pipe, and you saw that's eventually what wore him down," said Whitley, a fan favorite in Glen Burnie whose ferocity forced Hughes to his knees before referee Malik Waleed waved an end to the fight.

The shorter, muscular Whitley began to turn the fight in his favor in the fifth, backing up Hughes with hard left hooks to the jaw as the Nebraskan's stance and defenses weakened. A body shot caused Hughes to drop his hands and turn away moments before the bell.

In the sixth, Whitley opened a cut under Hughes' left eye and began to center his attack on Hughes' midsection. A combination midway through the seventh hurt Hughes. Whitley stood him up with an uppercut, then fired four consecutive blows at Hughes, who fell backward for a knockdown before the bell ending the round.

Silver Spring heavyweight Tony Thompson (5-1) used his right hand to twice floor Virginia's Dana Dunston (3-1, two KOs), dropping him face first for his second knockout at 2:07 of the third round.

Rangy welterweight Ricardo Edmunds (3-2, 2 KOs) of Washington kept Julian Fuentes (2-1-1, two KOs) on the end of his long jab, and often caught him running into punches en route to a four-round majority decision.

Louis Rosales (5-7-1, two KOs) of Wilmington, Del., came from behind to edge Jose Tiburcio (2-1, one KO) of Southbridge, Mass., in a welterweight war.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad