Skateboards take a lot of abuse, so regular maintenance is mandatory for safety.
* If one or more deck piles crack, that's bad news. Your board could break.
* Overly dirty grip tape should be cleaned with a plastic bristle brush and a little water . Dry thoroughly.
* Check all hardware. Keep nuts and bolts tight. Replace bent or damaged pieces.
* Replace worn pivots and bishings, which get squashed from heavy usage.
* Make sure wheel bearings stay lubricated and whole. Replace wheels that lose a chunk to heavy use.