Second suspect in Va. killing


Police are searching for a second Baltimore man who they believe was involved in the shooting death of a prominent Virginia banker and historian, authorities said yesterday.

Peggy Evans-Garland, the prosecutor in Westmoreland County, Va., said police believe two men were responsible for the July 8 death of Frank M. Bailey Jr., 46, who was shot in the back of the head and left in a field of barley near his 19th-century farmhouse in rural northeast Virginia.

Garland refused to identify the second suspect, but said city police and Virginia authorities are looking for him in Baltimore.

Bailey's relatives, meanwhile, expressed anger yesterday that the first suspect in the killing was free despite repeated arrests since 1997.

That suspect, Deon Carter, 19, was arrested by Baltimore police Friday after an hour-long standoff in the 700 block of W. Fayette St.

Police were attempting to serve an arrest warrant on Carter for the June 30 killing of Sean Powell, 33, of Ashburton, when Carter ran into a rowhouse. During the standoff, he broke through the wall into an adjoining rowhouse, where he put on a dress and high heels and tried to elude police by walking out dressed as a woman.

Carter was arrested immediately and charged with first-degree murder in Powell's death. He is being held at the city jail.

Garland said yesterday she would seek to have Carter indicted on capital murder charges when the circuit court reconvenes. She plans to seek the death penalty.

"We have it, we will seek it. ... This is a very high priority for us," Garland said. "This is a very frightening incident to this community. This is a community where people leave their doors open."

Court records show that Carter, of the 1500 block of Mountmor Court, was indicted in August 1998 on armed robbery charges, but prosecutors did not to take the case to trial. In December 1997, records show, he was charged with first-degree murder, but the charge was dropped.

Carter had also been arrested numerous times on handgun and assault charges, including a handgun charge on May 11 and first-degree assault and assault with a deadly weapon charges on March 17. He is awaiting a hearing in those cases.

To keep Carter from being overlooked in the city's overcrowded criminal justice system, which has led to the dismissal of several high-profile cases in recent years, Garland plans to ask Baltimore prosecutors to return him to Virginia to stand trial before he is tried in the Powell slaying.

"We want him down here," Garland said, noting Westmoreland County averages less than two homicides a year. "It will get through this system. ... We have put together a pretty good case."

Garland believes that, for unknown reasons, one of the suspects' mothers dropped them off in Kinsale, Va., where they then took Bailey's wallet, dragged him into the field and shot him.

Bailey was found by his brother the next day when he failed to show up for a family gathering. His 1995 Nissan Altima was found abandoned and burned in Baltimore on July 8.

Police have videotape of a man matching Carter's description, using Bailey's bankcard after he was killed.

Kinsale, which has a population of 300 residents, saw more than 600 people show up for Bailey's funeral Thursday, when he was buried in the family plot alongside relatives dating back to the 1600s.

His relatives said yesterday that they are angry at the Baltimore criminal justice system.

"It looks like this should have been corrected before," said Bailey's mother, Elizabeth Bailey. "If things were done right up there, this [might] have never happened."

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad