25 Years Ago: Children's Movies Being Sponsored by Local Library -- The first evening of children's movies sponsored by the Mt. Airy Branch Library will be held this Tuesday, June 24, at 7 o'clock. The movies will be shown in the future library building on Main Street. Since there is no furniture in the building at this time, please bring your own "sit upon," or chair. The program will last about one hour and will include Stone Soup, the Fabulous Harlem Globe Trotters, and the Lorax. This is the first of five evenings of children's movies to be shown in Mt. Airy this summer.
The Community Reporter
June 20, 1975
50 Years Ago: $25,000 Fire in Lewis Hall W.M.C., Damage Heaviest in Third Floor Laboratory Building -- Firemen Overcome by Smoke With the sirens on three pumpers screaming as the fire department hurried to the Western Maryland College to extinguish a fire that had originated in the chemical room, caused excitement among our citizens and a stream of automobiles to follow. The damage is estimated between $20,000 and $25,000. One fireman was injured and about twenty overcome by smoke when a fire burned through part of a chemical storeroom at the Western Maryland College Friday evening about 10:45 o'clock. Six of the firemen were removed from the scene and treated by a private physician at the firehouse and the remainder were treated on the scene. All were in good condition the next morning.
The firefighters' efforts were hampered by dense plumes of smoke but the flames were confined to the third-floor storeroom of Lewis Hall. Damage was estimated at between $25,000 and $50,000 by Dr. Lowell S. Ensor, college president. Joseph Manger, Jr. one of the firemen fighting the blaze, suffered a cut hand when he tried to break through a third-floor window from a ladder. He was immediately taken to a doctor. Firemen removed to the firemen's building for treatment for smoke inhalation were Thomas Case, Henry Hook, Leister Green, Charles Mann and Charles Maus, all of Westminster. Fourteen other firemen who staggered from the three-story brick building suffering from smoke inhalation were treated at the scene.
June 16, 1950
100 Years Ago: During a thunderstorm which passed over the city on Monday evening lightning struck on the premises occupied by Mr. Isaac Cohen, on East Green street, and completely wrecked a grape arbor. Mr. Cohen and one of his children, a boy, were standing at the yard gate at the time and both were stunned and knocked down by the bolt. The lightning made a livid circle around the lad's neck, but he recovered sooner than his father who was unconscious for sometime and was not fully restored until about noon the next day. Both father and son narrowly escaped fatal injuries from the bolt.
June 19, 1900