Robert Henry Willis Sr., 49, Sun pressmanRobert...

Robert Henry Willis Sr., 49, Sun pressman

Robert Henry Willis Sr., a retired pressman and outdoorsman, died Saturday of complications from a stroke at Harbor Hospital Center. He was 49.


Until retiring on a medical disability in 1993, Mr. Willis was a pressman for The Sun. Earlier, he had worked in the press room of the Baltimore News American until the paper's demise in 1986.

The lifelong Linthicum resident was a 1968 graduate of Andover High School, where he was a member of the swim team. He began his pressman apprenticeship at Alco Gravure in Glen Burnie.


He enjoyed hunting and fishing, and liked to draw wildlife scenes.

His marriage to the former Deborah Myers ended in divorce.

A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at Singleton Funeral Home, 1 Second Ave. S.W. in Glen Burnie.

He is survived by a son, Robert Henry Willis Jr. of Glen Burnie; his parents, William E. Willis Jr. and Ida C. Willis of Linthicum; a brother, Glenn H. Willis of Oak Island, N.C.; and a sister, Deborah Hewes of Millersville.

Edward Dexter Chapin, 80, disabilities lawyer

Edward Dexter Chapin, a retired casualty and disabilities lawyer, died Sunday of cancer at Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care. He was 80 and lived in Ruxton.

He retired about 15 years ago from the Social Security Administration, where he worked in disability claims processing. Earlier, he had been a claims adjuster with New Amsterdam and Liberty Mutual insurance companies. He also worked in Joseph Spector's law office in downtown Baltimore.

Born in Baltimore, he was a 1932 graduate of Calvert School and a member of the Class of 1938 at Gilman School, where he played football. He received his undergraduate degree in 1943 from Princeton University, where he was a member of the Colonial Club. He earned his law degree from University of Maryland in 1950.


He served in the Army during World War II and fought in the Netherlands and Germany. He joined the Army Reserve and attained the rank of lieutenant colonel. He retired from the military in 1966.

Mr. Chapin had two lifelong interests. He had a vegetable garden and planted numerous trees and azaleas, and he zealously followed the Baltimore Colts and Orioles.

In 1945, he married Ruth Brooks, former registrar at Calvert School, who survives him.

A memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. today at Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, 1401 Carrollton Ave. in Ruxton.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by two sons, Peter Brooks Chapin and David Wolcott Chapin, both of Cockeysville; a brother, Bedford Chapin of Ruxton; and four grandchildren.

Michael P. Kametses, 93, Highlandtown baker


Michael P. Kametses, a retired Highlandtown baker, died Saturday of heart failure in his sleep at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. He was 93 and lived in Highlandtown.

The former owner of Mike's Doughnuts, a Newkirk Street bakery, he delivered sweets to Greek-owned restaurants in East Baltimore in the 1950s and 1960s.

Born in Chios, Greece, he sailed to the United States and arrived atEllis Island in 1923. He was a haberdasher in Newport News, Va., before moving to Maryland.

He wrote Greek poetry and enjoyed chanting church hymns. He was a gardener who grew roses, tomatoes, cucumbers and figs in his home's back yard.

In 1940, he married Artemis Xinos. She died in 1991.

Funeral services were held yesterday at St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church.


He is survived by two daughters, Renee Alatzas and Jennifer Latgis, both of Baltimore; a brother, Paminonda Kametses of Chios, Greece; three grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.