In many parts of the world, spring is a time to celebrate the end of the cold dark days of winter. Spring and summer are exciting and colorful seasons when people welcome new life and celebrate the outdoors. There are many Baltimore traditions connected with these seasons. The Farmers' Markets and baseball are some of Baltimore's favorite warm weather events! Many people celebrate their joy in the coming of spring and summer by wearing colorful party hats.
Hat's off to warmer summer !
Let's celebrate the seasons by making an old-fashioned party hat!
1. Fold a newspaper in half and place it in front of you with the fold at the top.
2. Fold the corners down.
3. Take hold of the upper sheet at the bottom and fold it over the turned-down corners. Turn the hat over and do the same to the other side.
4. Fold down the little tabs that are sticking out and tape or staple them in place.
5. Tape or staple strips of paper, ribbon, or streamers to the top of your hat.
6. If you like, punch a hole in each side of the hat. Tie a piece of yarn in each hole to tie the hat on your head.
Maryland Historical Society
201 West Monument Street, Baltimore
410-685-3750 n www.mdhs.org