Amelia Shryock Price, 89, physical education teacherAmelia...


Amelia Shryock Price, 89, physical education teacher

Amelia ShryockPrice, a retired physical education teacher, died May 29 of cancer at Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care. She was 89 and had lived in Cockeysville.

Born in Baltimore, she was a graduate of the Bouve Boston School and Northwestern University. She taught physical education at Roland Park County School in the 1930s. She later headed the physical education department of Chicago's Girls' Latin School and the College Prep School of Cincinnati.

She returned to Baltimore in the 1970s and was a volunteer canteen worker at Union Memorial Hospital for many years.

Funeral services were held Thursday.

She is survived by a friend, Lucy A. Brokaw of Towson; and two nephews, James McDonnell Price III of Towson and Richard Marcy Price of Butler.

Catherine Concannon, 69, former St. Ann's superior

Sister Catherine Concannon, a member of the School Sisters of Notre Dame and former superior of St. Ann's Convent on Greenmount Avenue, died Wednesday of a cerebral hemorrhage at Methodist Hospital in Brooklyn, N.Y., while visiting her family. She was 69 and lived at Villa Assumpta in Woodbrook.

Beginning in 1952, she taught at St. Mark's Parochial School in Catonsville, St. Mary's in Annapolis, St. James the Less in East Baltimore and St. Ann's at Greenmount Avenue and 22nd Street, where she was the superior of the religious community from 1967 to 1970.

From 1970 to 1990 she worked in religious education, social work, adult education and pastoral ministry in Demorest, Ga.

Born in New York, the former Catherine Concannon entered the religious life in 1949. She professed her vows in 1952 and received the name Sister Mary Jonathan, a name she used through the 1960s. She graduated from the College of Notre Dame of Maryland in 1967. She received a master's degree in education from the University of Georgia in 1975.

A Mass was offered Saturday at Villa Assumpta.

Survivors include a brother, Thomas Concannon of Brooklyn; and nieces and nephews.

Regina Marie Smith, 83, assembled bomber radios

Regina Marie Smith, who helped assemble radios used in bombers during World War II, died in her sleep May 31 at Stella Maris Hospice. She was 83.

Mrs. Smith, born Regina Klug in Govans, attended the College of Notre Dame of Maryland, graduating with a bachelor's degree in chemistry in 1938.

After college, she entered religious orders with the intention of working as a missionary among lepers in the South Pacific. However, her order insisted that because of her academic background she work in administration rather than tend to the sick overseas.

Mrs. Smith disagreed, and quit the order to work as a chemist for Procter & Gamble. After a brief stay there, she went to Bendix, where she worked in the radio division during the war.

She left Bendix soon thereafter, marrying James A. Smith Jr. in 1947 and tending to a household that included nine children. Mr. Smith died in 1976

In 1964, the family moved to Towson, where Mrs. Smith resided until two weeks ago, when she entered Stella Maris.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered Saturday at Immaculate Conception Church. She is survived by five sons, James A. Smith III, Edward K. Smith and Philip V. Smith, all of Towson; DenisE. Smith of Westminster; and GirardA. Smith of Rodgers Forge; and four daughters Jennifer A. Smith of Cockeysville; Eileen S. Brockwell of Clermont, Fla.; Regina S. Stein of Hydes; and Dorothy S. Burton of Manchester.

Mrs. Smith also is survived by two sisters, Mary Agnes Klug of Towson and Margaret Klug King of Alexandria, Va.

Raymond S. Blake Jr., 66, insurance executive

Raymond Stanley Blake Jr., a prominent insurance executive and supporter of charitable causes, died of a heart attack Friday at his home in Baldwin. He was 66.

Born and raised in West Baltimore, Mr. Blake attended City College. He entered the Navy and rose to the rank of seaman 1st class on the USS Albany. In 1953, Mr. Blake married Jane E. Rice.

The following year, on a drive from Baltimore to his base in Norfolk, Va., Mr. Blake was hit head-on by another car. He was thrown out the window and over a cliff, breaking his back and neck.

Doctors said he would not walk again, but after 10 months of traction and rehabilitation, he was back on his feet.

In 1958, Mr. Blake joined the Acacia Insurance firm in Baltimore but soon set up his own office, which became the local representative of the Kansas City Life company.

Mr. Blake was recognized as one of Kansas City Life's top agents, and he taught insurance courses at the University of Baltimore and at seminars around the country.

Along with other underwriters, Mr. Blake established a charitable foundation that bought books for city schools. He also served on the board of Baltimore County General Hospital, now Northwest Hospital Center, and was a member of the Jaycees, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the American Legion and the Elks.

A viewing will be held todayat Ruck Towson Funeral Home from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. The funeral is planned at 10 a.m. tomorrowat Epiphany Episcopal Church in Timonium.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Blake is survived by a son, Paul R. Blake of Newtown, Pa.; a daughter, Jennifer J. Vernarelliof Monkton; and four grandchildren.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad