Judge grants order sought by officer


A Carroll County District Court judge granted a temporary peace order yesterday to a Westminster police officer seeking the court's protection from former fellow Officer Richard A. Ruby, who resigned last week rather than face a possible criminal indictment.

The officer, Nikki Heuer, told Judge JoAnn Ellinghaus-Jones that Ruby approached Sgt. David Hooper of the Westminster Police Department on May 13 and told Hooper that, "if he saw [Heuer] out of town, he would kill her," according to court documents.

The judge's order requires that Ruby not threaten Heuer with violence for at least the next seven days. It also orders that he not contact or try to contact her, or harass her during that one-week period. He must not go to her residence and may only go to Westminster police headquarters for official business, according to the documents.

Ruby could not be reached for comment last night.

Ellinghaus-Jones scheduled a hearing at 3 p.m.Monday, when Heuer and Ruby are expected to appear to testify.

At that time, a judge will decide whether to extend the order for six months.

According to the state's Courts and Judicial Proceedings article, peace orders are to be granted if the court finds by clear and convincing evidence that the alleged offender committed acts against the person seeking the order and is likely to commit acts against the petitioner in the future.

Violation of peace orders, temporary or extended, may result in charges of contempt, criminal prosecution, imprisonment, fine and mandatory arrest with or without a warrant if probable cause exists to believe a violation has occurred.

Before resigning as a detective in the Westminster Police Department's criminal investigation division, Ruby had been suspended with pay since February after Heuer and Officer Chris Ilyes had independently lodged complaints that Ruby was trying to plant drugs on suspects.

Ruby was never charged with a crime.

He vehemently has denied wrongdoing, but the complaints against him sparked an independent investigation by the state attorney general's office, requested by Westminster Police Chief Roger Joneckis.

After the attorney general's investigators concluded their nearly three-month investigation of Ruby, they referred the matter to Jerry F. Barnes, state's attorney for Carroll County. Barnes reviewed the attorney general's investigation and conducted an inquiry.

Last month, he told Ruby's lawyers that he would take his findings to a grand jury Thursday, unless a satisfactory resolution was reached.

Ruby voluntarily resigned Wednesday, issuing a brief statement through his attorney. In that statement, he blamed Barnes and said he would never be able to obtain a fair review of his performance after serving the community for 3 1/2 years.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad