Baltimore officer charged with driving under influence; Man suspended pending hearing, accused of hitting car on shoulder of I-95

A Baltimore police officer involved in the fatal shooting of Larry Hubbard Jr. last fall was arrested and charged late Saturday night with driving under the influence, according to Maryland State Police.

Officer Robert J. Quick Jr., 27, was detained about 11: 47 p.m. after his 1991 Acura struck an unattended, parked car on the right shoulder of Interstate 95 south of the White Marsh interchange, state police said. Quick, who was traveling north on the interstate, was not injured in the accident.


Quick has been suspended with pay pending an administrative hearing that is expected to take place tomorrow.

"As soon as we were notified, action was taken," said Sgt. Scott Rowe, a spokesman with Baltimore police. "He will be working, but in an administrative capacity with no police powers."


Reached at his home by telephone yesterday, Quick declined to comment.

The incident is the latest in a string of troubles for the officer during his five years with the Baltimore Police Department.

On Oct. 7, Hubbard was shot in the back of the head during a struggle in the 2000 block of Barclay St. with Quick. Officer Barry W. Hamilton shot Hubbard when the man fell on his partner, Quick.

Police said Hamilton, who was standing over the two men, fired one shot when Hubbard grabbed Quick's gun. Several witnesses offered a different version of events: They said the white officers beat Hubbard -- an African-American -- and Hamilton shot him as he pleaded for his life.

After a public outcry, seven public and private investigations were launched into the shooting. The state's attorney's office is still reviewing the shooting.

In two other instances, Quick was a central figure in lawsuits alleging brutality and harassment.

In both suits, Quick was among a group of officers accused of falsely detaining, verbally abusing and assaulting people -- in a 1996 case for a man who was drinking a beer on the front steps of his rowhouse, and in a 1997 case for a man stopped on a routine traffic violation.

Regarding the 1997 case, a Baltimore jury decided two months ago that city police violated the rights of Bryan F. Reddick, 29, when they arrested him after he made a turn without using a left-turn signal. The jury awarded Reddick $275,000 in punitive and compensatory damages. The jury also singled out Quick as the only one who acted with "malice," and ordered that he pay $25,000 in punitive damages.