Hereford win gives Baltimore County first title sweep


After scoring the game-winner in last Friday's one-goal semifinal upset of defending champ Mount Hebron - a game during which he led the victors in total points with four - what could Matt Miller possibly do for an encore?

How about this: Last night, he piled up five points (three goals, two assists), including the game's last goal, in an 11-8, Class 2A-1A boys lacrosse state-title victory over another Howard County squad, Glenelg (15-5).

"This is incredible," said Miller, who leads the Bulls (15-3) with 44 goals to go with 12 assists. "This just puts the icing on the cake."

Miller had plenty of help at UMBC Stadium in a game the 12th-ranked Bulls dedicated to principal Ray Gross, who is retiring after 16 years in that job. Kris Davis (three goals), Adam Laramore (two goals) and Penn State-bound defender Rob Bateman (two goals) also contributed.

Matt Curtis had a goal and an assist and teamed up with Todd Yates to win 13 of 21 faceoffs for Hereford, and goalie Mike Stoltz made nine of his 18 saves in the fourth period, when Hebron outshot the Bulls 17-4.

The crown was Hereford's second, 1996 marking the other. The Bulls' fifth straight win ended a seven-game winning streak for Glenelg, which was in only its second state title game, having lost a close one to Towson in 1997.

Coupled with Dulaney's 10-8 win over defending champ Severna Park of Anne Arundel County in Tuesday's 4A-3A title game, Hereford's win made Baltimore County the first district to sweep both titles since the current tournament format was adopted in 1990.

"Our county has taken some knocks from people saying we're not premier in lacrosse," said Stoltz, whose school is about 10 miles from Dulaney in the northern part of the county. "But we're the first to sweep, which is nice."

Down 6-2 at halftime (3-2 after one period), Glenelg outscored Hereford 4-3 in the third period. The Gladiators were within 9-7 after Ben Dougherty (two goals, one assist) scored the first goal of the fourth period off an assist from Zack McQuigg (two, one) with 6:45 remaining.

But Stoltz cradled or deflected five consecutive blasts before Miller finished off a 15-yard sprint with a bounce shot past goalie Steve Marshall (seven saves) for a 10-7 lead.

Brad Hanyok's second goal with 1:08 remaining had Glenelg within 10-8, but Miller, off a groundball pickup and pass from Curtis, scored the final goal with 55 seconds left.

"We played our game in every quarter but the third," said Stoltz, who will join the 6-4, 200-pound Bateman at Penn State.

Bateman scored his fifth and sixth goals (he also has 22 assists), picked off three passes, stripped offensive players three times, and blocked a shot before it left another's stick.

But a possible matchup between Bateman and 6-4, Washington & Lee-bound McQuigg never materialized, as Bateman, Adam Hendrix and John Hanley played mostly out of the matchup zone defense.

"We dominated the fourth period, but we had to because we were behind," said Glenelg coach Rick Kincaid. "They made the shots when they had to, and we didn't."

Glenelg defender Nick Willet had several nice checks, in addition his solid clearing.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad