1743: Maryland Jockey Club founded in Annapolis.
1775-1782: Races suspended because of Revolutionary War.
1783: Maryland Jockey Club resumed, with Gov. William Paca and Charles Carroll, both signers of the Declaration of Independence, as members.
1830: MJC moved from Annapolis to Baltimore.
1870: Pimlico opened. The first stakes winner, Preakness, won the Dinner Party Stakes on Oct. 27.
1873: First running of the Preakness, won by Survivor.
1894: Fire destroyed Pimlico grandstand. Preakness was run at Gravesend in Brooklyn, N.Y., for the next 15 years before returning to Pimlico in 1909.
1919: Sir Barton won Derby, Preakness and Belmont to become first Triple Crown winner.
1938: Largest Pimlico crowd at the time (43,000) witnessed match race in which Seabiscuit beat War Admiral in the second Pimlico Special.
1947: MJC purchased 85-acre tract surrounding Pimlico from Hammond estate for about $1.3 million, and first live telecast (WMAR-TV) in Baltimore originated at Pimlico on Oct. 30.
1952: Ben and Herman Cohen bought Pimlico for $2.2 million.
1957: Victorian-style Members Clubhouse, built for Pimlico's opening in 1870, was restored in major remodeling project.
1958: Maryland legislature defeated a bill to close Pimlico and transfer dates to Laurel.
1960: Modern clubhouse opened, with dining room, theater seating, indoor paddock and jockeys quarters.
1966: On June 16, fire destroyed historic Members Clubhouse, the nation's oldest racing edifice.
1971: Grandstand remodeled, including new seats, floors and heating system.
1973: Glass-enclosed dining rooms built in clubhouse for $1.5 million.
1986: Frank De Francis, Robert and John "Tommy" Manfuso purchased Pimlico from the Cohens for more than $30 million.
1988: After spending $1 million in improvements their first year, new owners spent another $1.5 million on renovations. Corporate tents offered for first time in Preakness infield, and Preakness Special revived after 29-year hiatus. Inter-track wagering with Laurel begun.
1989: Frank De Francis died and his son, Joe, took over presidency of Pimlico and Laurel. Sports Palace opened at Pimlico.
1993: Simulcasting from out-of-state tracks and between thoroughbred and harness tracks begun. State's first off-track betting site opened near Frederick.
1998: Power outage plunged grandstand and clubhouse into darkness and stifling heat for the 123rd Preakness. A record crowd of 91,122 attended, but blackout cost the track an estimated $2 million in lost bets.
2000: Maryland legislature approved a bill to allow a state agency to float bonds to pay for improvements at Maryland tracks. The measure broke tradition by allowing twilight thoroughbred racing.