Maj. John S. Wixson, 54, Salvation Army...


Maj. John S. Wixson, 54, Salvation Army commander

Maj. John S. Wixson, commander of the Salvation Army's Hampden Corps, died Sunday of liver failure at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was 54 and lived in Woodbrook, Baltimore County.

An officer of the Salvation Army for 32 years, Major Wixson spent most of his career in the Texas Division before being appointed to Clarksville, W.Va., in 1995.

While serving in Clarksville, he learned that he needed a liver transplant and, in 1997, took over the Hampden Corps to be near medical help at Hopkins.

"He always wanted to be of service to others," said his wife of 30 years, the former Patricia Breedlove, also a Salvation Army major.

Born in Bartlesville, Okla., Major Wixson graduated from high school in New Orleans. He entered the Salvation Army's Officers' Training School in 1966 and was commissioned in 1968.

In 1995, he was called to Oklahoma City, where he directed and operated a canteen unit at the edge of the bomb site near the federal building.

"He described the bombing as being 'horrendous.' But he had a way of calming people," said his wife.

Major Wixson enjoyed brass band music and was an accomplished coronet and autoharp player. He also liked to sing and fish.

Services will be held at 1 p.m. today at Salvation Army Hampden Corps, 3401 Roland Ave.

He also is survived by two daughters, Angela Wixson of Wilmington, N.C., and Kimberly Wixson Schiefelbein of Fort Worth, Texas; his mother, Maj. Christine Wixson of Augusta, Ga.; a brother, David Wixson of Augusta; two sisters, Barbara Ryan of Morristown, N.J., and Joyce Goings of Augusta; and numerous nephews and nieces.

Mattie Pearl Coleman, 74, seamstress for London Fog

Mattie Pearl Coleman, a retired seamstress who was active in New Mount Carmel Baptist Church in West Baltimore, died Thursday of an incarcerated hernia at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore. She was 74.

Mrs. Coleman had lived in Pimlico since 1972.

She retired in 1976 after 25 years with London Fog Manufacturing Co. in Woodberry. Earlier, she was a seamstress for Misty Harbor Raincoats.

The former Mattie Logan was born in Java, Va., and graduated from Pittsylvania Training School, a vocational school in Gretna, Va.

She married Harry Edward Coleman Jr. in 1955 and they settled in Baltimore in 1956. Mr. Coleman died in 1974.

Mrs. Coleman was an active member for 43 years of New Mount Carmel Baptist Church, where she was a member of the Deaconess Board, Pastor's Aid, Mother's Club, Usher Board and Missionary Board and sang with the gospel choir.

In earlier years, she performed with the Logan Sisters Gospel Singers. She also designed and made clothes.

Services were held yesterday.

She is survived by two sons, Larry E. Coleman and Norman Coleman, and a daughter, Lariece Coleman Wilson, all of Baltimore; five brothers, James Logan of Baltimore, Charlie Logan, Allen Logan, Elmer Logan and Joseph Logan, all of Danville, Va.; six sisters, Bethel Logan, Christine Dawson, Rosa Dodson and Catherine Jones, all of Baltimore, and Mary Stephens of Danville and Louise Wolmack of Java; six grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Catherine Demuth, 86, publisher of trade journal

Catherine Demuth, former publisher of an alcoholic beverage trade journal, died April 27 of cancer at home in Naples, Fla. She was 86 and had lived in Baltimore and Sherwood Forest.

A former president of the Baltimore-Washington, D.C.-Delaware Beverage Journal, she was an officer of its publishing company until 1990. The trade journal printed the wholesale prices of alcoholic beverages. She took over the business after her husband's death.

Born in North East in Cecil County, Catherine Rose was a 1935 graduate of Western Maryland College.

In 1936, she married Wilson H. Murray, who died in 1955. In 1959, she wed George Demuth. He died last year.

Funeral services are pending.

Mrs. Demuth is survived by three sons, Thomas W. Murray of Baltimore, Richard A. Murray of Seguin, Texas, and Lee W. Murray of Annapolis; two stepsons, J. Steven Demuth of Key Largo, Fla., and Paul L. Demuth of Indianapolis; eight grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


Because of limited space and the large number of requests for obituaries, The Sun regrets that it cannot publish all the obituaries it receives. Because The Sun regards obituaries as news, we give a preference to those submitted within 48 hours of a person's death. It is also our intention to run obituaries no later than seven days after death.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad