H. Louis French, 59, attorney and bankerH....


H. Louis French, 59, attorney and banker

H. Louis French, an attorney and banker, died Thursday of cancer at his Towson home. The longtime Towson resident was 59.

Mr. French had maintained a private practice and consulting business until retiring in 1997 because of a medical disability. He had worked in the trust department of Riggs National Bank in Washington from 1987 until 1991.

He began his career in 1962 with Mercantile-Safe Deposit and Trust Co. in Baltimore, and worked in its trust department for 25 years.

Mr. French had been chairman of Jenkins Memorial Home and was a founder of the Baltimore Community Foundation, a charitable trust. He also worked closely through the years with Associated Jewish Charities, The William T. Baker Foundation and the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Baltimore.

Born in Baltimore, he received a bachelor's degree from Loyola College in 1962 and a law degree from the University of Baltimore School of Law in 1965.

In 1961, he married Cyril Sunderland, who survives him.

He enjoyed golfing.

Mr. French attended St. Pius X Roman Catholic Church in Rodgers Forge.

A memorial Mass will be offered at 5: 30 p.m. Friday at the Roman Catholic Chapel of Our Lady of Mont Serrat, Loyola Blakefield, 500 Chestnut Ave., Towson.

He also is survived by two sons, Louis M. French of Kensington and John P. French of Bel Air; a sister, Anne Michaels of Catonsville; and three grandchildren.

Jule T. Emory, 84, real estate agent, gardener

Jule T. Emory, a homemaker who had worked as a real estate agent, died Sunday of respiratory failure at Gracious Living Senior Care in Roland Park. She was 84.

The former longtime resident of Melrose Avenue in North Baltimore had worked in the early 1980s as a real estate agent for Temple Pierce and later for Chase, Fitzgerald & Co.

Mrs. Emory had been active in the Junior League of Baltimore, the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Woman's Club of Roland Park.

An enthusiastic gardener, Mrs. Emory had served as president of the Perennial Garden Club and had been a judge for the Federated Garden Clubs of Maryland.

Born Jule Trelease in New Orleans, she was raised in Montclair, N.J., and Colorado Springs, Colo., where she graduated from high school. She received a bachelor's degree in French from the University of Colorado in 1937.

She was married in 1939 to James A. Emory Jr., a state Department of Transportation planner, who died in 1990.

She was a member of Roland Park Presbyterian Church, 4801 Roland Ave., where services will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow.

She is survived by a daughter, Sally Mai Emory of New York; and a sister, Jonibell T. Blair of Easton.

William A. Popa, 79, steamfitter, tavern owner

William A. Popa, a retired steamfitter and tavern owner, died Saturday of complications of asbestosis at the home of one of his sons in Pasadena. He was 79 and had lived in Ocean City.

Mr. Popa owned Club 438, also known as Sooner's Tavern, at Pennington Avenue and Hazel Street in Curtis Bay, where he had lived for many years.

He also was a welder and member of the Steamfitters Local 438 before his retirement 15 years ago. He helped build nuclear power plants at Calvert Cliffs, Peach Bottom, Pa., and in Florida.

Born in New York City, where he attended public schools, he moved to Baltimore in the 1930s. He served in the Marine Corps in the Pacific during World War II.

A Mason, he was a member of the King David Lodge No. 68 in Pasadena.

In 1940, he married Louise E. Schmidt and the union ended in divorce. In 1963, he wed Julia M. Flynn, who died in 1993.

Mr. Popa will be cremated and his ashed scattered at sea off Ocean City on June 25.

He is survived by a son, Leonard J. Popa of Pasadena; a stepson, George A. Burke of Stevensville; a daughter, Virginia W. Endley of Pasadena; and six grandchildren.

H. Chapline Staley, 89, owner of a belting company

H. Chapline Staley, retired owner of a belting company, died Saturday of heart failure at Mallard Bay Rehabilitation Center in Cambridge. He was 89.

The Cambridge resident owned Druid Oak Belting Co. on Light Street before moving to Cambridge in 1960. He then opened Staley Supply Co., which he operated with his late wife.

Born in Roland Park, Mr. Staley attended Friends School in Bolton Hill and was a graduate of Swarthmore (Pa.) Prep School.

He married Leah Lane in 1934; she died in 1999.

A private memorial service will be held in August.

He is survived by a daughter, Barbara Staley Field of Cambridge; seven grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

Christine M. Hadaway, 84, nurse, community leader

Christine Moffett Hadaway, a former nurse and community leader in Northeast Baltimore, died Wednesday of Hodgkin's disease at Johns Hopkins Hospital. She was 84.

A resident of Hamilton for nearly 60 years, Mrs. Hadaway worked as a nurse at hospitals in Baltimore and Easton. She retired in 1978 after 16 years at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Born in Rock Hall, she graduated from Rock Hall High School in 1932. She began her nursing career at Easton Memorial Hospital, after graduating from its nursing program.

In 1936, she married Winfield Horner, and the couple moved to Hamilton in 1941. She worked as a nurse at University Hospital in Baltimore for a few years before leaving to raise her daughter.

During the 1950s, she was president of Beverly Hills Improvement Association. She was also active in Harbel, the Northeast Baltimore community organization. Her first marriage ended in divorce in the early 1960s.

After her retirement, she married Warren Hadaway of Annapolis, her high school boyfriend. He died in 1986.

In addition to her civic activities, Mrs. Hadaway enjoyed gardening.

A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. today at St. John's United Methodist Church, 5315 Harford Road -- Mrs. Hadaway's parish for more than 50 years.

Survivors include a daughter, Joan C. Ford of Hamilton; a stepson, Henry Hadaway of New Jersey; two sisters, Thelma Vansant of Chestertown and Isabel Gorham of Parkville; and a brother, Maxwell Moffett of Ocean City.


Because of limited space and the large number of requests for obituaries, The Sun regrets that it cannot publish all the obituaries it receives. Because The Sun regards obituaries as news, we give preference to those submitted within 48 hours of a person's death. It is also our intention to run obituaries no later than seven days after death.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad