Essex woman is followed, shot in driveway, police say; She is recovering; search of suspect's car leads to false alarm over noise


An Essex woman was in stable condition after being shot in the back in the driveway of her home yesterday morning by a man who she said followed her car into the neighborhood and attacked her with a shotgun.

Later, police evacuated the department's headquarters in Towson for 2 1/2 hours after they heard a ticking sound coming from the car of a 53-year-old man who had been arrested in the case. After bringing in search dogs, officials determined that the sound had come from a clock.

No charges

The suspect was at the Essex precinct last night and had not been charged.

The incident began about 8 a.m. yesterday when Carole L. Seibel, 35, of the 2500 block of Barrison Point Road was traveling on Route 702 in Essex after dropping off her child at a nearby school.

Police said Seibel noticed a red car with several bumper stickers following her. The driver pulled into nearby Rocky Point Road while Seibel drove on Barrison Point Road.

While on Barrison Point Road, Seibel saw the same red car "following from a distance," said Cpl. Vickie Warehime, a county police spokeswoman.

When Seibel pulled into her driveway, she noticed the red car pass. As she went to take items out of the back of the car, she felt a sharp pain in her back and collapsed, police said.

Police called

She was able to get inside her home and call police, telling them that a man with a shotgun had attacked her. She had been shot once.

"She gave us a description of the suspect and the vehicle," Ware-hime said.

Minutes later, an officer stopped a car on Route 702, saw part of a shotgun in plain view and arrested the driver, Warehime said.

Seibel was flown to Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore. She was in stable condition last night, and her injuries were not considered life-threatening.

"At this time, we do not have a motive or know if there was a relationship between the suspect and the victim," Warehime said. "We have no indication of a confrontation on the road or a prior confrontation."

Police towed both cars to police headquarters, in the 700 block of E. Joppa Road.

While they were examining the suspect's car, officials said, they heard ticking in the car. They evacuated 350 employees at 2: 09 p.m.

Employees were allowed back into the building at 5 p.m.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad