Rock thrown by protester seriously injures officer; 7 demonstrators arrested during union picketing at mall construction site


An Anne Arundel County police officer was struck in the head and seriously injured early yesterday by a rock thrown by a protester during union picketing at the construction site of Arundel Mills mall.

Western District Officer Martin Freeman, who was knocked unconscious, was taken by ambulance to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore. Police said the 10-year veteran was being treated for a concussion and would probably be held overnight for observation.

Seven demonstrators were arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and impeding the flow of traffic, police said. No other injuries were reported.

About 70 police officers were at the site to control the 150 protesters in the latest of a series of union demonstrations at the construction site in recent weeks, said Officer Charles R. Ravenell, a county police spokesman.

Freeman was injured as protesters began throwing rocks at cars arriving at the construction site.

"We're proud of the professionalism and discipline these officers showed in light that a fellow officer had been seriously injured," Ravenell said.

Pilot lands airplane on road in Edgewater

An Eastern Shore pilot who landed his airplane on a public roadway in Edgewater instead of the nearby Lee Airport runway was arrested by county police, who reported finding open bourbon bottles in the craft.

The pilot, David Wayne Nickerson, 52, of East New Market, landed his single-engine Cessna on Maryland Avenue near Route 2 about 5: 30 p.m. Wednesday, narrowly missing several cars, said Officer Charles R. Ravenell, a county police spokesman.

Nickerson, whom records show has had a pilot's license since 1983, was charged with careless operation of an aircraft and possession of an open container of alcohol while on a public road. He was released on his own recognizance.

Police said they found several open bottles of Jim Beam and an open bottle of ginger ale in the 1974 turboprop plane, which Nickerson told them he had been flying most of the day -- his last stop having been Mattatuck, N.Y.

Carroll Van Lee, a motorist who was behind the airplane, told police he approached it after it came to a stop on a grass shoulder, and noticed an odor of alcohol in the aircraft. Lee and another witness, Mary O'Connor, told police that the pilot asked them to block Maryland Avenue so he could take off, but they refused.

Arlene Salac, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration, said the incident would be investigated. She said if Nickerson is found to have been drunk while flying the plane, he could face the loss of his pilot's license and a fine.

Attempts to reach Nickerson yesterday were unsuccessful.

Lothian man is killed in South County crash

A 20-year-old Lothian man was killed yesterday when he failed to negotiate a curve while driving his truck on a South County road, hit a car head-on and was struck by another car, county police reported.

Joseph Thomas Stosick III was thrown from his Chevrolet truck, which flipped on its side in the accident at 6 a.m. on Bay Front Road, police said.

The other drivers -- Edward Lee Lester, 34, of Shady Side, whose Chevy Lumina was involved in the first impact, and Kevin Jonathan Hodges, 38, of Dunkirk, whose Honda Accord struck the overturned truck, police say -- were listed in serious condition at the Prince George's Hospital Center trauma unit.

Woman accused of trying to kill her daughter, 3

A North Beach woman has been arrested and charged with trying to kill her young daughter with an overdose of anti-psychotic drugs, county police said yesterday.

Police said the 3-year-old girl was given four tablets of the prescription drug Seroquel, which can cause unconsciousness in adults. The woman called 911 frantically Wednesday afternoon, police said.

Officer Charles R. Ravenell said the girl was treated at Anne Arundel Medical Center and released, and is in her father's custody.

Anita Turner, 34, was charged with second-degree attempted murder and was being held without bail at the county detention center on Jennifer Road in Parole.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad