Police officer fired in 1998 is reinstated by trial board; Neighborhood dispute led to investigation


A former Baltimore police officer who was fired in 1998 after allegations she made false statements is being rehired after a department trial board cleared her of wrongdoing.

Christine P. Boyd, 28, who had patrolled North Baltimore, was fired in February 1998 when a three-member administrative hearing board found her guilty of four counts of lying to officers.

The officers were investigating a complaint that she threatened a civilian during a neighborhood dispute.

Boyd, who was arrested three times during her four-year career, filed an appeal in Circuit Court after her dismissal. Judge Alfred Nance dismissed two of the charges last year and referred the remaining two charges back to the police department trial board for another hearing, which cleared her Tuesday.

"The department was not able to present sufficient evidence to convict her of the charges," said her Fraternal Order of Police lawyer, Mike Davy. "We are also working on getting her back pay from when she was terminated.

Police spokeswoman Agent Angelique Cook-Hayes said Boyd could begin work as early as today.

Boyd's case centered around a May 1996 incident in which she was accused of threatening Masean Williams in the 1100 block of Montpelier St. in Waverly during a dispute. Williams said she refused to fight after seeing a handgun tucked into Boyd's waistband.

Prosecutors dropped criminal charges of assault by threat. But the internal department trial board convicted her of misleading two colleagues by telling them Williams' complaint resulted from "friends playing a joke on her." She was found not guilty Tuesday. Boyd could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Boyd was also arrested in December 1996 and charged with possessing cocaine and with trying to smother her 12-year-old daughter with a pillow. Prosecutors dropped the criminal charges in 1997.

In 1995, Boyd was charged with reckless endangerment after the same daughter, then 11, was alleged to have pointed the officer's loaded police-issued handgun at a 10-year-old boy. Prosecutors placed those charges on the inactive docket, but Boyd was suspended for five days without pay.

Police officials would not comment yesterday on Boyd's reinstatement as an officer or the negotiations concerning back pay.

Sun staff librarian Jean Packard contributed to this article.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad