Jury to resume deliberations in fatal shooting; Man says victim reached for a gun; Claims self-defense; Two had long dispute about car's ownership; Eastport


An Anne Arundel County Circuit Court jury will resume deliberating today whether John Thomas Logan is guilty in the slaying of an acquaintance outside a grocery store in Annapolis' Eastport community.

Logan, 22, of the 1000 block of Monroe St., is charged with first-degree murder and two handgun violations in the death Jan. 22 of Wayne Dwight Addison, 21, of the 100 block of Bright-water Drive.

The charges could bring a sentence of life in prison.

Logan, who testified this week that he shot Addison in self-defense, argued that Addison had previously made so many threats against him, including pulling a gun on him, that he feared for his life.

The two had a long-standing argument over ownership of a car, with each saying the other owed him money.

Logan said he fired at Addison during a confrontation as Addison sat in a taxi outside Sanky's grocery because Addison reached for a gun.

"I walked down there to the car. I was like, man, why don't you leave me alone, leave the situation alone," Logan testified.

He said Addison cursed at him and reached into the waist of his pants for a weapon. Logan said he pulled out his gun and fired.

No gun was found on Addison. His cousin, Terry Johnson, testified earlier in the week that he went through Addison's pockets for valuables before police and paramedics arrived.

Defense attorneys seized on that as peculiar. Johnson testified that he found only keys.

Prosecutors contended that Logan did not have to approach Addison and continue their dispute. Assistant State's Attorney Fred Paone argued that Logan could have walked away from the taxi after he spoke.

But defense lawyers said Addison had previously threatened Logan with a gun.

"Nobody is going to turn their back. Nobody," Kim Germaine Judd said in closing arguments Wednesday.

Acknowledging that Addison had a criminal record, Assistant State's Attorney Pamela Knoop told the jury of nine women and three men, "It does not mean he deserved to die in that cab."

Addison and friends were in a cab on Monroe St. on Jan. 22 when they saw Logan on a corner with friends.

Addison hollered at Logan's friends, and as the cab continued on, Addison and his friends laughed, prosecution witnesses said.

Logan approached the cab when it stopped by Sanky's so the driver could get change. The shooting quickly drew a crowd.

Jurors deliberated about 2 1/2 hours Wednesday before Judge Eugene M. Lerner sent them home.

The court was closed yesterday.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad