Thomas Henry Lind, 72, owner of insurance...


Thomas Henry Lind, 72, owner of insurance firm

Thomas Henry Lind Jr., who owned a Bowie insurance business, died Sunday of respiratory failure at Prince George's Hospital Center. He was 72 and lived in Mitchellville.

Drafted by the old Boston Braves, he was a shortstop in the Texas League in the 1950s. He retired in 1991 after a career in the the insurance and real estate business.

Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of St. Elizabeth of Hungary parochial school and Mount St. Joseph High School, where he was scouted by the Braves and signed to a contract in his senior year.

"He practiced with the major-league Braves and sat in the stands during the game," recalled Sun columnist John Steadman.

Mr. Lind served in the Navy during World War II and then continued to play minor league ball with the Hagerstown Braves and Oklahoma City in the Texas League. His baseball career ended in 1955.

He was a 1949 graduate of Loyola College, where he also coached soccer in the 1950s.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered 9: 30 a.m. today at St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, 109 Duke of Gloucester St., Annapolis, where he was a member.

He is survived by his wife, the former Ann Jeanette Tiralla, whom he married in 1954; a son, Thomas H. Lind III of Annapolis; three daughters, Bridget Graydon of Santa Rosa, Calif., Martha Lind of Salt Lake City and Lizabeth Lind of Annapolis; three sisters, Margaret Logue of Pasadena, Calif., Jean Gallagher of Atlanta and Estelle Alsruhe of Ocean City; and four grandchildren.

David Alan Moore, 48, pilot, flight instructor

David Alan Moore, an airline pilot, died Sunday of multi-system organ failure at Johns Hopkins Hospital. The Chester resident was 48.

Mr. Moore had been a pilot for US Airways since 1988 and most recently was based in Harrisburg, Pa. Earlier, he had been a flight instructor.

He was born in Richwood, W.Va., where he graduated from Norman Town High School. During the Vietnam War he was a Marine Corps infantryman.

He enjoyed flying, sailing and fishing.

Services were held yesterday at First Baptist Church in Stevensville, where he was an active member.

He is survived by his wife, the former Debi Smith, whom he married this year; a daughter, Jennifer Moore of Fairmont, W.Va.; his mother, Virginia Taylor Moore of Fairmont; a brother, Dale Moore of Mannington, W.Va.; four sisters, Kathy Gower of Rivesville, W.Va., Mary Jane Gorman of Grant Town, W.Va., Judy Testa of Manassas, Va., and Patricia Moore of Fairmont;, and an aunt, Ree Pedrick of Hebron.

Delbert L. Emerich, 58, worked for trucking firm

Delbert L. Emerich, sales representative for a trucking firm, died Saturday of undetermined causes at Franklin Square Hospital. The Perry Hall resident was 58.

Mr. Emerich had been a truck driver and trucking company manager. Since 1996, he had been a sales representative with Red Star Trucking Co. in Baltimore.

He was born in Reading, Pa., and graduated from Fleetwood (Pa.) High School in 1959.

Services will be held at 12: 30 p.m. today at Walter R. Christ Funeral Home, 3300 Kutztown Road, Laureldale, Pa.

He is survived by his mother, Anna K. Emerich of Fleetwood; a daughter, Michelle Lin Fronina of Fleetwood; seven brothers, Donald Emerich and Robert Emerich, both of Fleetwood, Lynn Emerich of Bernville, Pa., Larry Emerich and Steve Emerich, both of Temple, Pa., Terry Emerich of Alsace Township, Pa., and Bruce Emer-ich of Grand Haven, Mich.; and two sisters, Carol Houch of Fleetwood and Tracey Allenbach of Blandon, Pa.

Mamie Cromidas, 84, restaurant owner

Mamie Cromidas, who owned a Dundalk restaurant with her husband, died Monday of heart failure at her Pensacola, Fla., home. She was 84.

She had previously lived on Crosswood Avenue in Hamilton.

With her husband, Emmanuel Harry "Mike" Cromidas, who died in 1992, she managed Mike's St. Helena Seafood Restaurant in Dundalk from the 1950s to 1970, when they retired. The couple married in 1936.

The former Mamie Tsouvalou was born in Xios, Greece. In 1922, her family immigrated to West Virginia, where she attended Weir High School in Weirton. She moved to Baltimore in 1942.

In retirement, she collected recipes and reviewed restaurants for a Greek tour book. She also wrote poetry.

Funeral services will be held at 9: 30 a.m. Saturday at St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church, 520 S. Ponca St.

She is survived by a daughter, Mary Ann "Becky" Thomas of Pensacola; two granddaughters; and three great-grandchildren.

Evan A. Jones Jr., 86, drug company executive

Evan A. Jones Jr., a retired pharmaceutical company executive and pharmacist, died in his sleep Saturday at Stella Maris Hospice. The Timonium resident was 86.

Mr. Jones, who was known as Al, was division manager for Winthrop Pharmaceuticals from 1950 until his retirement in 1978. Earlier, he owned and operated a pharmacy in Philadelphia.

Born in Wynnewood, Pa., he earned a degree in pharmacy from the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science in 1932.

During World War II, he was a paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne in Europe and participated in the Battle of the Bulge in 1944. His decorations included three Bronze Stars and the Purple Heart. He was discharged in 1946.

He was a member of St. Paul Lutheran Church in Lutherville and American Legion Post 22 in Towson.

Services were held Tuesday.

He is survived by his wife of more than 50 years, the former Catherine Collins; two sons, Evan A. Jones III of Waterford, Mich., and Collins R. Jones of Germantown; a daughter, Linda G. Crook of Phoenix; a brother, William R. Jones of Philadelphia; and a granddaughter.

John V. Feeley Jr., 67, BGE foreman, train collector

John Vincent Feeley Jr., a retired Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. foreman and model train collector, died Oct. 21 of lung cancer. He was 67.

He worked for BGE for 37 years and retired in 1992.

He collected Lionel trains and each year set up a Christmas garden in his Parkville home.

The Parkville native graduated from Towson High School in 1951 and served in the Marine Corps.

For more than 30 years, he was active in Boy Scouts and was associated with Troop 26 at St. Ursula Roman Catholic Church in Parkville, and was a volunteer driver with Meals on Wheels.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered Monday at St. Ursula Church, where he was a longtime communicant.

He is survived by his wife of 38 years, the former Beverly Allen; two sons, J. Douglas Feeley and M. Ryan Feeley, both of Parkville; three daughters, Katherine deBethizy of Sharpsburg, Janet Heckscher of Bel Air and Nora Schofield of Forest Hill; two sisters, Catherine Fischer and Mary Anne Steiner, both of Delaware; and five grandchildren.

More obituaries next page


Because of limited space and the large number of requests for obituaries, The Sun regrets that it cannot publish all the obituaries it receives. Because The Sun regards obituaries as news, we give preference to those submitted within 48 hours of a person's death. It is also our intention to run obituaries no later than seven days after death.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad