Balto. County final ends in stalemate; Franklin, Sparrows Point finish 2OT game in 1-1 tie


After 110 minutes of hard-fought soccer in the Baltimore County championship, both teams, Franklin and Sparrows Point, walked off the field feeling cheated.

No winner was decided, with the game ending in a 1-1 tie in double overtime.

"It feels like we lost," said Sparrows Point goalie Joe Collier, who had 13 saves in the second half and overtime. "You should either win or lose. We were as good as the defending champs and we should have won."

Collier's coach agreed.

"I'm a believer that someone should play until they win," said George Bischoff, who's team improved to 8-4-1 after starting the season 1-4. "I'm from the old school."

Franklin goalie Andy Schuster had anticipated a penalty shootout. But games are not decided on penalty shots during the regular season. Only in state playoff games do teams play past the two overtime periods.

"After winning [the county title] last year I'd rather play to win," Schuster said. "I was surprised we didn't go to penalty shots."

Franklin, which finished its regular season with a 10-2-1 record, may have overlooked a Sparrows Point team that they knew little about.

"We came out a little cocky and that's why they put one in [the goal]," said Chris Borcik, who scored the Indians' lone goal 2: 28 into the second half. "We thought [the game] would be a piece of cake."

The game was full of spectacular shots and saves.

Lamar Porter, who scored the Warriors' goal at the 13: 24 mark of the first half, hit the upper right corner with less than two minutes left in the opening half. His teammate Greg Sandridge made a save in front of the goal with four seconds left in that same half to keep his team ahead. He did the same thing in the first overtime, too.

"Our defense was excellent," Bischoff said. Sandridge "made two point blank saves off his chest for us."

Franklin had its share of great defensive stops as well.

Schuster twice made two one-on-one saves 5 yards out of his goal with minutes left in regulation. He also tipped a shot over the crossbar off a rocket shot from 39 yards out by B. J. Fiegley about half way though the second overtime.

"We were real lucky," said Franklin coach Larry Meekins. He "kept us in the game. He made some great saves."

In that respect, Bischoff found a silver lining in the outcome.

Franklin "was big and strong, and they're 3A and we're 1A," he said. "We gave them all they could handle tonight."

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad