David N. Bates, 71, District Court judge
Former Baltimore County Judge David N. Bates, founder of the First Offenders Program and Mountain Manor Rehabilitation Center, died Monday of heart failure at Atlantic General Hospital in Berlin. He was 71.
The former Towson resident, who had lived in Ocean Pines since 1986, served as a judge of the District Court of Maryland from 1975 until retiring on a medical disability in early 1984.
Judge Bates, a recovering alcoholic who began drinking when he was 14, successfully stopped in the 1960s and spent the rest of his life helping those who were similarly afflicted.
In 1976, he helped organize Pilot House, a rehabilitation unit for alcoholics in Baltimore County, and, in 1978, he developed a DWI program for the county.
Judge Bates later created a statewide First Offenders Program, founded Mountain Manor Rehabilitation Center in Emmitsburg and established the Lawyers and Judges Counseling Service for alcohol and drug abusers.
Judge Bates was born and raised in Dundalk. A graduate of Sparrows Point High School, he served in the Navy and after being discharged earned his bachelor's degree and law degree from the University of Baltimore in 1950.
He was a successful criminal lawyer before being named a district magistrate in 1964.
In 1984, Judge Bates was acquitted of charges that he lied to a federal grand jury about an effort to fix a bad-check case.
He was an avid hunter and was a member of the Dundalk American Legion post.
Services will be held at 7: 30 p.m. tomorrow at Ulrich Funeral Home, 10902 Ocean Parkway, Berlin.
He is survived by his wife of 51 years, the former E. Joyce Shelhoss; three sons, D. Kenneth Bates of Berlin, Daniel B. Bates of Hagerstown and Jeffrey B. Bates of Westminster; two daughters, Judith Marie Laser of Freeland and Laura M. Vocke of Jarrettsville; two brothers, Howard F. Bates of Perry Hall and Ralph E. Bates of Burns Harbor, Ind.; 13 grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.
Nathan Rich, 56, barber, enjoyed gourmet cooking
Nathan Rich, a barber who enjoyed gourmet cooking, died Oct. 20 of a heart attack at his West Baltimore home. He was 56.
Since 1997, he had been a barber at Saunder's House of Style in the 1700 block of W. North Ave. Earlier, he taught barbering at the International Academy of Hair Design and Technology in Baltimore, of which he was a graduate.
The lifelong West Baltimore resident also graduated from Carver Vocational-Technical High School. He was an Army cook in Vietnam from 1970 until 1975.
Mr. Rich enjoyed preparing gourmet dishes and entertaining family and friends.
He was a member of the men's choir of Jones Tabernacle Baptist Church, 2100 W. Baltimore St., where services will be held at noon today.
He is survived by his father, James Rich of Randallstown; his mother, Elizabeth Burrell, and two brothers, Larry Rich and Donald Rich, all of Baltimore; a sister, Lorraine Wallace of Woodlawn; five nephews; and a niece.
William G. Ryan Jr., 74, Western Electric electrician
William George Ryan Jr., a retired Western Electric electrician, died Sunday of cancer at his Perry Hall home. He was 74.
He retired in 1986 after 30 years with the Western Electric plant on Broening Highway.
Born in Southwest Baltimore, he attended parochial school and Mount St. Joseph's High School.
He joined the Navy and served aboard the USS Bebas as a gunners mate. He then joined the merchant marine for two years.
In 1951, he married Regina "Jean" Siatkowski, who survives him.
He was a member of the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Disabled American Veterans.
Funeral services were held yesterday in Perry Hall.
He also is survived by two daughters, Linda M. Somers of Jarrettsville and Patricia R. Williams of Towson; a sister, Betty Miller of Deep Creek in Garrett County; and a granddaughter.
Robert Thomas Cannon, 63, government chemist
Robert Thomas Cannon, a retired chemist, died Sunday of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, known as Lou Gehrig's disease, at Hart Heritage Home in Street. He was 63 and lived in Churchville.
A government chemist who worked in the field of pyrotechnics -- smoke to protect troops -- he trained government officials to make overseas inspections in countries covered by chemical weapons treaties.
While in the Army, he was assigned to the old Army Chemical Center at Edgewood in 1960 and continued there as a civilian employee. He retired from Aberdeen Proving Ground in 1993.
Born in Lynn, Mass., he received a bachelor of science degree from Northeastern University in 1959.
In 1963, he married Dona Marie Murphy, who survives him.
A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 11 a.m. today at St. Margaret Roman Catholic Church, Bel Air, where he was a member.
In addition to his wife, he is survived by four sons, Michael A. Cannon of Severn, John A. Cannon of Glen Arm, Paul B. Cannon of Cardiff and Matthew R. Cannon of Churchville; and five grandchildren.