C. Donald Spedden, 53, stockbroker, boatmanC. Donald...


C. Donald Spedden, 53, stockbroker, boatman

C. Donald Spedden, a stockbroker with Ferris Baker Watts Inc., died of cancer Oct. 15 at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center. He was 53.

The former Timonium resident joined the firm's Hunt Valley office in 1990. In 1997, he moved to Easton and worked in the firm's office there. Earlier, he had been a broker with Legg Mason Wood Walker Inc. and PaineWebber.

The Towson native earned a bachelor's degree in business administration from the Johns Hopkins University.

An avid boater, he enjoyed cruising the bay with family and friends aboard the Mast, his 34-foot motor cruiser.

He was a member of the Baltimore Yacht Club, the Crescent Yacht Club and the Miles River Yacht Club.

Services were held Tuesday. He is survived by his wife of 31 years, the former Carol Corkran; a son, Matthew D. Spedden of Easton; a daughter, Stacey Ann Irr-gang of Finksburg; and his mother, Jean Holland Spedden of Timonium.

Dr. Stanley M. Rosen, 63, researcher and internist

Dr. Stanley Myron Rosen, an internist who practiced in Northwest Baltimore, died Monday of a heart attack at his Pikesville home. He was 63.

He was on the staff at Sinai Hospital and the Northwest Hospital Center.

Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., he was a 1956 graduate of Columbia University and received his medical education at Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He served on the staff of Maimonides Hospital in Brooklyn, where he won awards for renal research.

In 1965, he moved to Baltimore as associate chief of clinical investigation services at the old U.S. Public Health Service Hospital in Wyman Park. He later went into private practice.

In 1964, Dr. Rosen married Gailbonnie Taranow. They were divorced.

A deeply religious man, he practiced both Judaism and Christianity.

He was a deacon at Union Baptist Church in West Baltimore, where funeral services were held yesterday.

He is survived by a son, Ari Seth Rosen of Owings Mills; three daughters, Kerrie Lynn Antonopoulos of Towson, Lara Beth Rosen of Baltimore and Tammy Marinos of Athens, Greece; a brother, Frederick Rosen of Los Angeles; and three grandchildren.

Mary N. O'Rourke, 83, office manager, war veteran

Mary N. O'Rourke, a retired office manager and World War II veteran, died Saturday of kidney failure at the home of a daughter in Lansdowne. She was 83.

She was office manager for an El Paso, Texas, real estate agency for 20 years before she moved to Glen Burnie in 1974.

She was a volunteer with the state police at Baltimore-Washington International Airport and the state Department of Aging, where she helped organize trips for senior citizens.

The former Mary Joyce was born in Dorchester, Mass., where she graduated from high school. She served in the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps from 1943 until 1951.

In 1976, she earned an associate's degree from Anne Arundel Community College.

Her husband, Joseph J. O'Rourke, whom she married in 1950, died in 1972.

She was a communicant of Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church in Glen Burnie, where a memorial Mass was offered yesterday.

She is survived by two daughters, Joycee N. Nelson of Lansdowne and Sally T. Morrison of Port St. Lucie, Fla.; two sisters, Eleanor Condon of Milton, Mass., and Cathleen Vincent of Pasadena; five grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Norman E. Gerber, 66, county planning director

Norman E. Gerber, retired Baltimore County planning director, died of cancer Oct. 15 at his Cockeysville home. He was 66.

1997 PHOTO He retired in 1988 as director of the county's office of planning and zoning. From 1989 to 1990, he served as Laurel's chief planner.

"He was often caught in the middle of local politics, and he maintained a logical view," said Dani Duniho, former mayor of Laurel. "He stood up to political infighting and harangue. He was the only person who came out unscathed."

Born in Cockeysville, Mr. Gerber was a graduate of the Johns Hopkins University School of Engineering and earned his master's degree from Morgan State University.

Services were held Tuesday.

He is survived by his wife, the former Wanda Smith, whom he married in 1963; two sons, Gregory Gerber of Virginia Beach, Va., and Timothy Gerber of Reisterstown; his mother, Kathleen Gerber Riley and a brother, William E. Gerber, both of Cockeysville; three grandsons; and a great-grandson.

William Lonnie Fuller, 54, groom, maintenance worker

William Lonnie Fuller, an Amtrak worker who had been a groom at racing stables, died Saturday of cancer at Stella Maris Hospice. He was 54 and lived in Towson.

A railroad maintenance worker for about 10 years, he spent most of his working life as a groom at thoroughbred stables in Maryland, Florida, Kentucky, New York and Canada.

Born in Towson, he attended public schools and took courses to be certified as a machine tool operator, a welder and an air-conditioning mechanic. He worked at Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Sparrows Point plant in the 1970s.

Last year, he married Ernestine Cornish, who survives him.

Funeral services were held yesterday.

He is also survived by a son, Lonnie Fuller of Baltimore; a daughter, Kimberly Harris of Lincoln, Pa.; a stepson, Darrick Clark of Abbeville, S.C.; his mother, Carrie D. Banks of Towson; two brothers, Edward Banks and Robert Banks, both of Baltimore; two sisters, Connie Oakley of Altamont Springs, Fla., and Katherine Banks of Towson; and four grandchildren.

Roland H. Eulert, 74, maintenance supervisor

Roland H. Eulert, retired head of maintenance for a Salisbury real estate firm, died Saturday of asbestosis at his Berlin home. He was 74.

Formerly a self-employed carpenter, he was in charge of maintenance for Moore, Warfield Realtors for 18 years and retired in May.

A former resident of Original Northwood in Baltimore, he had lived in Berlin since 1973. He was born in East Baltimore and graduated from Immanuel Lutheran High School in Northeast Baltimore.

During World War II, he served with the Marine Corps and participated in the Iwo Jima and Saipan campaigns. He was a member of American Legion Boggs-Disharoon Post No. 123.

He was a founder of the Northwood Little League and the Baltimore Pee-Wee Ice Hockey League.

A memorial service was held yesterday.

He is survived by his wife of 53 years, the former Mary R. Williams; a son, Thomas K. Eulert of Baltimore; a daughter, Nancy G. Webster of Berlin; a brother, Harry P. Eulert of Bel Air; a sister, Betty Jasion of Baldwin; and a granddaughter.

Rodell Meachem Sr., 72, federal government official

Rodell Meachem Sr., a retired federal official, died Monday of a brain tumor at his Glen Burnie home. He was 72.

Mr. Meachem began working at Fort Meade in 1948 and retired in 1992 after 16 years as acting chief of the General Service Administration's contract administration division at the installation.

Born in Harmans, Anne Arundel County, he was a graduate of the Wiley Bates High School in Annapolis and served in the Air Force from 1946 to 1949.

He was a life member of the Hiram Grand Lodge of A.F. & A.M.

He sang in the male chorus at St. John Wesley United Methodist Church, 6922 Ritchie Highway, Glen Burnie, where he was a member and where services will be held at 6 p.m. today.

Mr. Meachem is survived by his wife of 49 years, the former Velma Ray Nicholson; a son, Rodell Meachem Jr. of Orlando, Fla.; two daughters, Patrice Meachem of Glen Burnie and Rhonda Squire of Orlando; two brothers, William Meachem and Marvin Meachem, both of Baltimore; two sisters, Shirley Dean and Joyce Little, both of Baltimore; and three grandchildren.

Lucy Mable Williams, 79, former nurse, sang in choir

Lucy Mable Williams, a retired nurse, died Saturday of heart failure at Bon Secours Hospital. She was 79 and lived in Northwest Baltimore.

She studied nursing at the old Baltimore City Hospitals and was employed there until she retired about 15 years ago.

The former Lucy Mable Mangum was born in Rocky Mount, N.C., and attended public schools there. She moved to Baltimore in the 1940s.

In 1940, she married Herman L. Williams Sr., who died in 1980.

She sang in the Great Hymns Choir of Baltimore City.

She was a member of Wayland Baptist Church, Garrison Boulevard and Fairview Avenue, where services will be held at 11: 30 a.m. today.

She is survived by two sons, Herman L. Williams Jr. of Baltimore and Stephen Williams of Charlottesville, Va.; two sisters, Lillie Dickens and Gladys Johnson, both of Baltimore; and two granddaughters.

Mary Buchanan Birckhead, 85, physical therapist

Mary Buchanan Birckhead, a retired physical therapist, died Monday in her sleep at Friends House Nursing Home in Sandy Spring. She was 85.

The Sandy Spring resident retired in 1977 as a physical therapist at Trenton (N.J.) State Hospital, where she had worked since the 1950s.

Born at her family's home in Anneslie, Baltimore County, she was a graduate of Bryn Mawr School, Sarah Lawrence College and the University of Pennsylvania.

She worked at Kernan Hospital in Baltimore throughout World War II, then moved to New Hope, Pa.

She enjoyed painting and wrote children's books that were privately printed.

A funeral service will be held at 1: 30 p.m. today at Friends House, 17340 Quaker Lane, Sandy Spring.

She is survived by a brother, Taylor A. Birckhead of Towson; and nine nieces and nephews.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad