Sheriff Johnson graduates from three-month FBI training program


Anne Arundel County Sheriff George F. Johnson IV has graduated from a three-month program of the FBI Academy in Quantico, Va.

The program included training in legal issues, forensics, stress management and fitness.

Johnson was among 260 law enforcement administrators to complete the program last month.

15-year-old girl dies from gunshot wound to head

A 15-year-old girl died Tuesday evening of injuries caused by an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, county police said.

The girl was found in a drainage culvert in Crofton, near Route 3 and Conway Road, police said. Friends called the police about 7 p.m., said Officer Charles Ravenell. Emergency medical personnel were trying to save the girl when police arrived at the scene, he said.

The teen-ager was flown to Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, where she died.

County Council approves water, sewer systems plans

Long-range plans for Anne Arundel County's water and sewer systems have met with County Council approval after several months of debate and substantial revisions.

The county's master water and sewer proposal has been debated since it was first proposed this summer. Council members had said it failed to clearly identify how it has changed from earlier proposals.

Monday night's unanimous council approval came after county officials presented a more detailed proposal and agreed to resolve differences with Annapolis officials over which jurisdiction would shoulder the cost of upgrading the sewage plant the county and city own jointly.

Public agencies, nonprofits eligible for damage aid

Anne Arundel County public agencies and nonprofits providing public services that suffered damage from Hurricane Floyd last month are eligible to apply for aid under a public assistance program, the Federal Emergency Management Agency announced yesterday.

Under the program, federal funds pay for 75 percent of the cost of repairing infrastructure, replacing or repairing damage to public facilities, and removing debris left by the storm. The state, county and fund-raising efforts are expected to generate the other 25 percent.

The public aid program is open to public agencies and nonprofit groups, such as volunteer firefighters, that provide essential government services such as education, utilities, and emergency or medical services.

Homeowners, renters and business owners in Anne Arundel were already eligible for the individual federal aid extended Sept. 24 to 11 Maryland counties.

Joe L. Byrnes, director of Anne Arundel County Emergency Management, said the county will probably apply for help in paying overtime for emergency workers, paying for water damage to schools and county buildings, and replacing a firetruck that was destroyed.

He estimated the county suffered about $2 million in public and private damage from the hurricane, not including damage associated with Baltimore Gas and Electric Co.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad