Title hopes disappear for Cats, Eagles; Centennial's Krausman blocks PK in overtime, saves scoreless draw in overtime; Boys soccer


Centennial and Wilde Lake eliminated each other from county championship contention yesterday by tying 0-0 after 100 minutes of soccer.

Fourteenth-ranked Wilde Lake (5-3-1 overall, 4-2-1 league) had the best chance to win the game -- a penalty kick with 2: 20 left in the first overtime after a contested foul.

But Centennial goalkeeper Paul Krausman (10 saves) dove left to stop Michael Dello-Russo's kick and save the game at Wilde Lake.

On the foul, the referee ruled that Krausman dropped the ball just in front of the goal line with no contact from an offensive player, and that Wilde Lake's Ian Rodway had gained possession and was fouled by Krausman as he attempted to turn and shoot.

"I was fairly upset with the call," Krausman said. "The ball was loose on the ground, and I didn't feel he ever had possession. And I don't feel I made much contact."

Centennial coach Jim Zehe said he thought that offensive contact had knocked the ball out of Krausman's hands and that no penalty kick should have been awarded.

Far Centennial, the game was the third straight to reach overtime. And the No. 13 Eagles (6-4-2, 4-2-1), coming off Friday's overtime upset of River Hill, were physically banged up.

Stopper Greg Wallace sat out the second half and overtime with a hip problem. Midfielder Tom Eckes missed the game with a scalp infection that followed his collision Friday with teammate Randy Van Allen, whose teeth cut his head. Van Allen played despite four fractures to his nose suffered on that same collision. Midfielder Nate Zachman played only the first half because of an ankle.

"Given the injuries, I was happy with the effort and intensity," said Zehe. "A tie is not an invigorating result, but under these circumstances, we'll take it."

Wilde Lake coach Dave Nesbitt's team created a half-dozen dangerous opportunities but couldn't finish.

Dello-Russo cracked a 22-yard direct kick off the right post in overtime, in addition to the blocked penalty kick.

"It was a pretty decent game, especially for Centennial, coming off that big win," Nesbitt said. "I was happy with the way Matt Thomas [seven saves] played in goal for us today. He's beginning to step up for us."

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad