A 62-year-old man whose body was discovered after last week's suspicious blaze at a Turners Station home died of blunt force trauma to the upper body before the fire began, Baltimore County police said yesterday.
The state medical examiner's office completed its investigation last week into the fire Oct. 11, which killed an 18-month-old disabled girl and injured two people.
Police believe the blaze began when someone lighted a flammable liquid in several areas of the two-story home on Willow Court, said Bill Toohey, a county police spokesman.
Four people were living at the house: Elva E. Reid, 41; her friend, George Koval, whose body was found in the house; and Reid's two children, Michael Reid, 7, and Venice Reid, 18 months. Police said Venice Reid died of smoke inhalation.
Officials are ruling both deaths homicides. Koval was last seen by a friend Sept. 20, Toohey said.
Detectives have not spoken to Elva Reid, who is in serious but stable condition at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center. Michael Reid is in fair condition at the University of Maryland Medical Center.