Harry H. Zimmerman, 74, salesman, bandleaderHarry Harris...


Harry H. Zimmerman, 74, salesman, bandleader

Harry Harris Zimmerman, a retired beer salesman and bandleader, died Saturday of cancer at his Rosedale home. He was 74.

In 1990, he retired from Bond Distributing Co. Earlier, he had worked at several Baltimore breweries -- Gunther, American, Carling, National -- and sold beer for Budweiser and Schlitz.

In the 1960s, he was state sales manager for Kessler Hunter Distilleries.

During World War II, he worked at the Glenn L. Martin Co. aircraft plant in Middle River, and had been a machinist for R. J. Lock & Co., an auto parts company.

He was a trumpeter and led the Harry Zimmerman Trumpet and Orchestra, later called the Star Dusters and the Tune Toppers, from the 1940s to the 1990s. The group played at weddings, private parties and the Mount Washington Club.

Born in Baltimore, Mr. Zimmerman was a graduate of St. Elizabeth of Hungary parochial school.

In 1944, he married Thelma Oliver, who died in 1969. In 1971, he wed Madge Tolliver; she died in 1988.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 9: 30 a.m. tomorrow at the Roman Catholic Shrine of St. Jude, 308 N. Paca St.

He is survived by a son, Ronald H. Zimmerman of Ellicott City; a daughter, Carol L. Bauer of Rosedale; a companion, Zelda Blackburn of Rosedale; and three grandchildren.

Peter M. Delo, 75, Air National Guard pilot

Peter M. Delo, a former Maryland Air National Guard pilot who escaped death in 1950 after his plane plunged into the Chesapeake Bay, died of congestive heart failure Wednesday at Chesapeake (Va.) General Hospital. He was 75.

Mr. Delo was the second Maryland Air National Guard pilot to crash into the Chesapeake Bay that day in April 1950. Both were rescued and were unharmed.

Born in Montreal, he moved at age 3 to Towson and graduated from Towson High School. He attended Loyola College for two years before joining the Army Air Corps during World War II.

He was assigned to the 91st Bomb Group, the 8th Air Force, and was a member of the "Goldfish Club," made up of men rescued from the North Sea in 1942 after their bomber was shot down. He was a recipient of the Purple Heart, the European Service Medal and the Air Medal.

In 1952, he married Agnes H. Kemp. The Delos lived throughout the East Coast while he worked as an acoustical engineer for asbestos maker Johns Manville Corp.

A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at Sherwood Episcopal Church, Sherwood and York roads, Cockeysville.

In addition to his wife -- now a resident of Kill Devil Hills, N.C. -- Mr. Delo is survived by a daughter, Howland Delo of Kitty Hawk, N.C.; three sons, Peter M. Delo Jr. of Boulder, Colo., Kemp M. Delo of Birmingham, Ala., and Stephen P. Delo of Charlottesville, Va.; a sister, Joanne Severance of Glendale, Ariz.; and six grandchildren.

Anna Sechrist, 81, owned beauty shop

Anna Sechrist, a former Baltimorean and retired beauty shop owner, died of a stroke Wednesday at home in Aspers, Pa. She was 81.

She worked at the Fan and Anne Shop on Howard Street near Saratoga Street before establishing Loch Ridge Beauty Shop in Baynesville. She retired about 20 years ago and moved to Aspers.

Born in Lebanon, Pa., the former Anna Marie Scherb moved to Baltimore as a girl and lived on East Lanvale Street.

In 1940, she married Kenneth M. Sechrist, and they lived in the Ridgely section of Baltimore County.

Services were held Sunday.

She is survived by her husband; a son, Ronald K. Sechrist of Timonium; a daughter, Barbara A. Jacobs of Westminster; and a granddaughter.

Bishop Milledge Golphin, 81, church founder, pastor

Bishop Milledge Golphin, founder and pastor for 51 years of New Galilee Church of God in Christ Jesus, died Wednesday at Sinai Hospital of complications of diabetes. He was 81 and lived in Northwest Baltimore.

Bishop Golphin founded the Apostolic congregation on Argyle Avenue and moved it to Harlem Avenue several years later. In 1971, the congregation of about 2,000 moved to the 3000 block of Oakley Ave. in Pimlico, where he lived above the church.

He also had churches in Fayetteville, N.C., and New Ellington, S.C., where he was born and attended public schools.

He moved to Baltimore about the time he founded his church, and worked as a downtown parking lot attendant.

"My father wasn't formally educated," said his son Dennis M. Golphin of Baltimore. "He was called to preaching by his reading of the Bible. As evidenced by the size that his congregation had grown to, he changed people's lives."

In the 1940s, Bishop Golphin married Alice Hill, a registered nurse. She died in 1997. This year, he married Patricia Thomas of Fayetteville, who survives him.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. today at First Apostolic Church, 25 S. Caroline St.

In addition to his wife and son, he is survived by two other sons, Gregory Golphin and Tony Golphin, both of Baltimore; a stepdaughter, Naomi Thomas of Fayetteville; eight grandchildren; six great-grandchildren; and a friend, Shirley Bryant of Randallstown.

Ronald K. Mittrick Sr., 64, SSA systems analyst

Ronald K. Mittrick Sr., a retired Social Security Administration systems analyst, died Thursday of lymphoma at his Severna Park home. He was 64.

Mr. Mittrick worked at SSA's Woodlawn headquarters from 1972 until 1995, when he retired. He worked for American Oil Co. in Baltimore from 1966 to 1972.

Born in New York City and raised in Holmdel, N.J., he was a graduate of Red Bank (N.J.) High School. He earned a bachelor's degree in business from Monmouth University in Long Branch, N.J., and a master's degree in marketing from the Wharton School of Business of the University of Pennsylvania.

He enjoyed woodworking, fishing, boating and gardening.

He was a communicant of St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church, 689 Ritchie Highway, Severna Park, where a Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. today.

He is survived by his wife of 37 years, the former Barbara Karrer; a son, Ronald K. Mittrick Jr. of Severna Park; two daughters, Kirsten Mittrick and Kayce Mittrick, both of Pasadena; and four grandchildren.


Because of limited space and the large number of requests for obituaries, The Sun regrets that it cannot publish all the obituaries it receives. Because The Sun regards obituaries as news, we give a preference to those submitted within 48 hours of a person's death. It is also our intention to run obituaries no later than seven days after death.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad