Chesapeake rallies for 4-2 victory; Glen Burnie blows 2-0 lead at half; four Cougars score; Boys soccer


Chesapeake's recent goal scoring splurge was delayed until the second half at Glen Burnie yesterday afternoon.

After surrendering two first-half goals to the upstart Gophers, the No. 7-ranked Cougars responded with a flurry to come away with a 4-2 win.

Chesapeake -- coming off an 8-0 win over Meade on Tuesday -- improved to 9-1 overall and stayed perfect in the county at 6-0. The No. 13 Gophers fell to 5-2-1 overall, 5-1-1 in league play.

Two trends are emerging for Chesapeake's attack: goals are coming in bunches, and they are coming from a number of sources.

Seven players scored in the Cougars' win at Meade earlier in the week -- highlighted by four goals in five minutes early in the second half.

Yesterday, coach Earl Eckhardt got goals from four players to answer Glen Burnie's challenge. And again, the scoring spree started early in the second half.

Alex Watts worked a give-and-go with Mike Jungerheld on the left side of the penalty area before finishing on what proved to be the game-winner -- giving the Cougars their third goal in the first 14 minutes of the second half.

Dave Chapman cut the Glen Burnie lead to 2-1 three minutes into the second half, and six minutes later, Karl Watson tied the game with a cannon shot from 20 yards.

"Once we scored the first two goals real quick, we knew we had them. You could see it on their faces," said Jungerheld, who assisted on two goals. "It was a lot like Meade -- the first goals led to another, and then they come in bunches."

With some sharp play in goal from Josh Curry, who made six of his 11 saves early, the Gophers withstood a 20-minute push from the Cougars to start the game and then pushed back for the rest of the first half.

Glen Burnie took the lead in the 19th minute on a header by sweeper Sal Montevago, strong in the air on both ends of the field, off a long throw from Eric Breach.

The Gophers took a 2-0 lead with three minutes left in the first half, when Jason Fridley finished a 20-yard direct kick, and an upset looked like a strong possibility.

But it took all of 13 minutes in the second half to change that. As Chesapeake coach Eckhardt said: "Soccer is a game of emotion with a lot of momentum swings."

Pub Date: 10/08/99

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad