Dulaney tops Eastern Tech in OT; Unbeaten Lions await No. 8 Patapsco, 2-1 winner over Dundalk; Boys soccer


Mike Hoeck scored the game-winning goal from 30 yards out with three minutes left in the second overtime, hoisting Dulaney to a 2-1 victory over Eastern Tech yesterday in a battle of unbeaten Baltimore County Division I teams.

The win for Dulaney (7-0, 4-0) sets up tomorrow's showdown with eighth-ranked Patapsco (6-0-1, 4-0-1), a 2-1 winner over Dundalk yesterday.

Dulaney was an overtime winner of last year's regular-season game with Patapsco, which battled Eastern Tech (6-1-1, 3-1-1) to a scoreless tie last Thursday.

Yesterday, Dulaney trailed 1-0 after the Mavericks' Joe Freburger converted three minutes in, but used a goal by Steve Toutsis to tie the game at halftime.

Jonathan Newton and Paul Speakman had assists for the Lions, the only county team to defeat 15th-ranked Division I rival Perry Hall.

"It was a very physical game, and Eastern is a good team," said Dulaney coach Steve Shaw, whose team will play host to Patapsco tomorrow. "We know Patapsco plays well. It's going to be a great game to watch."

Eastern goalie Matt Bukowski, who has four shutouts, had 12 saves.

"We've lost three one-goal games to Dulaney the last three years. This was a tough one to swallow," said Eastern coach Peter Glaudemans. "We thought we could run with them, perhaps beat them. But they have a very nice one-two-three-touch attack."

Over at Patapsco, Scott Cornell scored with 10 minutes left in the first half, and sophomore Ron Wood with eight minutes left to play. Playmaker Brian Albrecht set up both scores off corner kicks, raising his totals to five goals and five assists.

Wood one-timed his right-footed goal, three yards from the near post, to finish off Joe Pugh's head-pass off Albrecht's corner kick.

"We did a better job moving the ball today than on most days," said Patapsco coach Dave Ingle. "Dundalk played hard and played well."

Dundalk (5-4, 2-3) had an 18-16 edge in shots, including a 5-0 advantage over the first three minutes of the second half, when Patriots keeper Eric Lloyd made eight of his 12 stops.

Lloyd said the match's intensity level, which included some late-game tussles, stemmed from the programs' proximity to each other. Scarcely two miles separate the two schools.

"They're like, 'We're gonna beat you; we're gonna get you.' It's all trash talk, all the time," Lloyd said. "You hear it in the malls, in other places when you run into their guys. Being ranked No. 8, everyone guns for you. But knowing their guys made it tougher."

Lloyd, a 6-foot-3, 240-pounder, proved he was ready to back up the hype.

Seconds into the second half, he dove to his right to snag a low, 15-yard blast at the far post from Dundalk's Sam DePasquale.

Lloyd's subsequent block of penalty kick by Steve Custer was the beginning of a three-shot sequence that the Patriots survived.

After thwarting Custer, Lloyd got off the ground to snuff another shot by DePasquale -- this one from about eight yards. Dundalk's Tony Johnson collected the rebound and fired from 10 yards at an empty net, but Patapsco's Kenny Bolyard cleared the ball seconds before it could cross the goalmouth.

"For his size, Eric Lloyd is as agile a guy as I've ever seen play this game," Ingle said. "He's a four-year starter, and he really showed his ability."

Down 2-0 with 35 seconds to play, Custer converted his second penalty kick opportunity.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad