Saints' makeshift defense ties up No. 1 John Carroll; Saul and Sample score in each half's 1st minute


Unable to be build on an early gift goal, top-ranked John Carroll had to settle on a 1-1 draw with No. 6-ranked St. Mary's in Annapolis yesterday.

Kerie Sample's direct kick from just outside the penalty area in the first minute of the second half evened the score for the home-team Saints, who got a strong effort from a makeshift defense in the two 10-minute overtime periods to maintain the tie.

The Patriots are 8-1-1 overall and 3-0-1 in the Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland. St. Mary's is 5-2-2 and 4-0-2 in league play.

Ties are often looked at differently by opposing teams, and that was certainly the case yesterday.

"It's disappointing," said John Carroll coach Gary Lynch. "We went into a shell at times and still need to learn how to play with a lead. We played well in the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes. We can't let them play 50-50 with us the rest of the time."

Miscommunication in back for St. Mary's left an open goal for Kate Saul to give the Patriots the 1-0 lead in the game's opening minute.

But the Saints' defense more than made up for it later, and combined with Sample's early finish in the second half, plenty of positives existed on St. Mary's side of the field.

"I'm very pleased," said St. Mary's coach Jerry Tobin. "We didn't play extremely well, but we played hard."

Junior Athena Gramates moved inside from fullback to give Tobin 80 strong minutes at sweeper in place of senior captain Kelly Coppedge, who was on a college lacrosse visit at Vanderbilt University.

Junior Lauren Bonnani, usually a midfielder, made 11 saves in her second start in the goal.

Senior fullback Melissa Raszewski and freshman stopper Meghan Ryan also came up with big second-half plays, each recovering to break up potential scoring chances for the Patriots.

"The defense we had out there, it was the first time they played together that way, so they had to settle down and did," said Tobin. "It's difficult. You have to learn to communicate. They're working their way through it."

The Patriots were relentless in the first 10 minutes of overtime and the early part of the second session.

John Carroll's Katie Whelehan had an early chance in the first overtime that Bonnani saved, Nicole Lewis sent a shot just wide, and Lyndsey Syphard put two shots on goal that were turned back.

But the game's last opportunities belonged to the Saints, who weathered the flurry and finished strong, with their best opportunity, from midfielder Kelly Hammond, dissolving along the right side.

"We came back out fired up and dominated the overtime, but you can't have that lax time," said Lynch. "You have to play the entire game against a good team like St. Mary's."

Pub Date: 10/02/99

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad