0-0 tie frustrating for Curley, Loyola; Friars dominate in OT but still come up empty; Boys soccer


Early in the first overtime of a scoreless game, Loyola goalkeeper Shawn Huth dived to his right to save a well-struck, close-range shot by visiting Archbishop Curley's Brandon Quaranta.

It was one of eight saves by Huth, but the one he said was his best. It also was the defining moment in an entertaining, physical game that left both sides frustrated with a 0-0 outcome.

No. 5 Loyola (5-0-2 overall, 3-0-1 in Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference) was frustrated by No. 3 Curley's ability to disrupt its short passing game; Curley was frustrated with its inability to finish numerous scoring chances -- especially in the final 20 minutes of regulation and two overtimes, all of which the Friars dominated.

Curley (5-1-1) had 13 shots on goal, and four from inside the 6-yard line.

"Loyola is a very good defensive team," said Curley coach Pep Perrella. "This is one of their better teams. They were knocking the ball and being aggressive. These are always battles on this field. Steve Althoff [sweeper] was superb. Brandon Quaranta and Marco Angelini worked hard and Santino Quaranta created out of nothing. I'm happy with our effort."

Loyola coach Don Kraft said: "We dominated everyone we played until today. Our goalkeeper saved us. It was the best game a Loyola goalkeeper has ever played. My team gave me everything, and that's all I can ask." Neither team gave an inch from the start. Both squads played at a blistering pace for the first 15 minutes before settling down.

Loyola's most dynamic scoring chance was Trever Hagin's well-struck left-footer that hit the near post broadside in the 14th minute and bounced off.

"He whaled it," Kraft said.

Curley was physically stronger and wore down Loyola in the second half. The Friars started winning 50/50 balls, making quick counterattacks and generally pinning back the Dons.

Huth's drop of a long throw-in in the 70th minute created a scoring opportunity inside the 6-yard line, but Brandon Quaranta missed left.

Loyola fullbacks John Alecci and Chase Franklin both kicked balls off the line when Huth got caught out of goal during regulation. The Dons lost Alecci, a captain, to a sprained ankle early in overtime.

"Our backs are amazing," said Huth, whose sweeper, Mike Lookingland, shined.

Curley's Angelini missed the far post of an open net by a couple feet with 3: 11 left in the first 10-minute overtime. He took the left-footed shot close to the far side of the penalty area, about 10 yards out, with Huth bearing down on him -- a difficult angle.

"I thought that one was going in," Perrella said.

Curley's under-17 U.S. National Team player, sophomore Santino Quaranta, took four shots during crunch time. Two were off the mark and two were saved by Huth.

Perrella said it was the sixth straight match that Curley has shut out Loyola.

"Curley is an amazing team," Huth said. "They're tough to score on."

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad