Roland Park stuns Severna Park; 4th-ranked Reds score 3 straight to tie, win, 3-2, in OT over No. 2 Falcons; Field hockey; High schools


When Lissa Morris connected with Erin Shaklee's crossing pass to give Severna Park a 2-0 lead early in the second half yesterday, it appeared that the No. 2 Falcons would finally beat Roland Park for the first time in three years.

Their hosts weren't convinced.

The No. 4 Reds rallied for two goals in the final 13 minutes of regulation and Jessica Winicki scored less than two minutes into sudden-death overtime to give the Reds a 3-2 victory at the second annual Sally Nyborg Memorial Field Hockey Invitational at Roland Park.

Waiting off the left post on a corner play, Winicki drove Allison Higgins' pass high into the far corner of the cage behind Falcons goalie Kim Lawton.

Severna Park coach Lil Shelton said she thought the goal should not have been allowed, because, she felt, Winicki, who did not stop the ball before shooting it, did not have control of the ball when she shot.

"The ball, when it's hit out, must be controlled before it can be shot on goal," said Shelton. "When the ball came out to [Higgins], she one-touched it over for the pass and [Winicki] hit it and it was never controlled."

Reds coach Debbie Bloodsworth saw it differently. "I thought it was controlled," said Bloodsworth. "The ball might not have been dead stopped, but it's not required to be dead stopped."

Still, Shelton did not dwell on the officials' decision.

"That's not where we lost the game because we had chances to win earlier," said Shelton. "We let them, in a span of four minutes, score two goals. We lost the game right there."

Liza Randolph scored the first Reds goal with 12: 28 left in the game, and Cassie Harvey deflected a pass from Sarah Scalia to tie the game with 8: 49 left.

The Reds (2-1) had 13 corners and took advantage of the only place the Falcons' game broke down -- defense in the circle.

That changed in the second game of the day for the Falcons (3-1), as they went on to beat Bethesda-Chevy Chase, 2-1. BCC's Mary Havell punched in a rebound off Lawton's pads to answer Shaklee's first-half goal and tie the game at 1 with 4: 27 left.

But the Falcons didn't wait long to take back control from the Barons (2-1). Shaklee fed Kristen Burke less than two minutes later for the game winner.

"We really wanted to put the Roland Park game behind us," said Shaklee. "We talked about playing with heart and passion and really hustling. [Against Roland Park], we didn't seem to want it that bad. When [BCC tied the game], it was deja vu, but we were not going to let that happen again. We played with a lot of heart the last five minutes."

The Falcons defense, led by Lawton and Kelli Bowerman, held off a powerful Barons attack that outshot them, 14-10. Lawton made nine saves, including a reaching nab on a ball shot high down the middle by Havell but deflected slightly to the right by a defender's stick.

The win gave the Falcons a 2-1 lead in the series between the top two public school teams in the state. They hadn't met since 1988, when the Barons defeated Severna Park to win the Class 4A state title. In 1987, the Falcons beat BCC in the title game.

In a fitting end for such a strong field, every team finished 1-1 on the day. The Falcons, the Barons and the Saints are ranked among the top four teams in the Washington area.

No. 1 Bryn Mawr 5, North East 1: Miles Whitman scored three goals to lead the Mawrtians (6-0) to their third straight title at the North East Tournament in Cecil County. Rebecca Kiselewich and Jen Ahn also scored in the title game. Whitman and Kimmy Quicksilver scored in a 2-1 first-round victory over Quince Orchard.

Episcopal Academy (Pa.) 1, No. 3 Garrison Forest 0: The Grizzlies gave up a goal five minutes into the first half and it stood up in the finale of the Grizzly Tournament at Garrison Forest. The hosts controlled much of the game, taking 12 penalty corners to four for Episcopal. Catie Corbin made seven saves. In the first round, Allynn Lodge scored twice as the Grizzlies (1-1) defeated Madeira (Va.), 2-0.

No. 8 St. Paul's 4, No. 12 Mount Hebron 0: Jenny Landsman scored three goals as the host Gators (2-0) defeated the Vikings at the round-robin St. Paul's Invitational. Elaine Belitsos scored both goals in a 2-1 Gators win over St. Mary's. Landsman also had two assists -- one in each game.

No. 10 Catonsville 5, Franklin 1: Kara MacLeod scored two goals and Sarah Slafkosky, Helen Brooks and Kristen Brooks added one each as the host Comets improved to 6-0.

Centennial Tournament -- Chesapeake-AA defeated Glenelg in a penalty-stroke shootout to earn the championship at Centennial. The game was scoreless after regulation and two overtimes. The Cougars scored on their first, second and fourth shots of the shootout to win, 3-0. Chesapeake advanced to the final with a 1-0 victory over Centennial on Jen Franklin's goal with 17: 14 left in first half.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad