Grief flows for siblings together in death


One hundred fifty mourners filed past two tiny white coffins filled with stuffed animals at a Pasadena funeral home yesterday during services for 3-year-old Destiny Spicknall and her 2-year-old brother, Richard.

State police say their father, Richard Wayne Spicknall, 27, of Laurel, confessed to killing the two last week on the Eastern Shore. He has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder and is being held without bond in the Talbot County jail.

Their mother, Lisa Fields Spicknall, 24, of Curtis Bay, sobbed in the front row during the funeral. In December, she had filed for divorce and a restraining order against her husband.

"I was very much aware this morning when I put on my robe that it was the robe I wore to marry this couple and baptize the babies," the Rev. Rick Andrews, pastor of Brooklyn United Methodist Church, said yesterday.

During the funeral, young Richard was made an honorary member of the Orchard Beach Volunteer Fire Department, where his uncle and grandfather are firefighters.

Lisa Spicknall's brother, Chad Fields, an Orchard Beach volunteer firefighter, spoke of Richard's love of fire engines. Richard spent the last afternoon of his life climbing on the engines at the station.

After the funeral, fire engines and two Anne Arundel County police officers on motorcycles led about 60 cars to Glen Haven Cemetery in Glen Burnie. Pink and blue teddy bears lined the fire engines' windshields.

Dozens of onlookers watched the volunteer firefighters bring out the coffins. "We just came out to pay respects," said Gabby Thompson, 41.

Afterward, at the Orchard Beach station, Lisa Spicknall choked back tears and read from a statement, thanking the rescue crews who tried to save her children. "She has thought of nothing other than her children," family spokesman Jeff Gross said.

Attorneys for Richard Wayne Spicknall asked a Talbot County judge yesterday to impose a gag order preventing police, prosecutors and court employees from discussing statements made by Spicknall and noted in police charging documents. The documents were filed Friday in Easton.

Lawyers Michael J. Belsky and Michael E. Davey said they are concerned that further media coverage of the statement would prevent Spicknall from getting a fair trial. Spicknall faces two first-degree murder charges in the deaths and could, if convicted, face the death penalty.

Davey would not comment yesterday. But Talbot County State's Attorney Scott Patterson said he would oppose the motion for a gag order as unnecessary, noting Spicknall's statement was mentioned in public documents.

Calling the motion "overkill," Assistant State Attorney General Betty Sconion, who advises the state police, said her office probably would oppose it as well. "It seems to me that this motion does a lot to draw further attention to the confession," she said.

Spicknall's attorneys also are asking to limit the scope of a psychiatric examination ordered Monday by District Judge William H. Adkins III. A hearing on these motions is expected tomorrow.

Also yesterday, the Howard County Sheriff's Office said that it had corrected clerical errors that resulted in removal of Spicknall's name from a database listing all people with protective orders filed against them. The listing should have prevented him from buying the 9 mm handgun state police believe he used to kill the children.

State police confirmed yesterday that none of the other three people omitted from the statewide list had purchased guns.

Sun staff writer Nancy A. Youssef contributed to this article.

Pub Date: 9/15/99

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad