In Baltimore CountyCouple indicted in death of...


In Baltimore County

Couple indicted in death of infant with skull fracture

TOWSON -- A Turners Station couple whose son died of a skull fracture in July were charged with child abuse yesterday by a Baltimore County grand jury.

Rose Mary Bingley, 35, and her husband, Donald Robertson, 37, of the 500 block of Main St., each were indicted on two counts of child abuse in the death of their 4-month-old son, Tramaine Deon Robertson, and in the head injury of his twin sister, Taylor Nicole Robertson. The girl also suffered a fractured skull but survived her injuries, said Assistant State's Attorney S. Ann Brobst.

Brobst said police initially believed the boy died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, because he was born prematurely and suffered from a respiratory infection shortly before his death. An autopsy revealed the fractured skull.

Official rejects plan to keep assisted living facility open

CATONSVILLE -- The county zoning commissioner has rejected a proposal from the owners of an assisted living facility to close off a portion of an illegally-built addition to continue operating their business.

Margaret and Matthew Decker argued that Parkside Assisted Living Facility at 303 N. Rolling Road would comply with county zoning laws if they closed part of the 2 1/2-story addition. But Zoning Commissioner Lawrence E. Schmidt said that even if the addition is not used, it contributes to the overall size of the facility, which is larger than building permits allowed.

Matthew Decker said he will appeal the zoning commissioner's decision and continue operating his facility, which has 10 residents.

Board of Education to hold hearing on capital budget

TOWSON -- The county Board of Education will hold a public hearing on the school system's proposed capital budget at 7 p.m. tomorrow at Greenwood, 6901 Charles St.

Residents who wish to speak must sign in at the beginning of the session.

Information: 410-887-4171.

Baltimore City

Arson suspected in fire at vacant Esskay plant

A fire believed to have been intentionally set caused an estimated $70,000 damage yesterday morningto the vacant Esskay plant in the 3900 block of E. Lombard St.

Firefighters were dispatched to the sprawling structure about 5: 20 a.m. and had the fire under control shortly before 6 a.m. Officials said the fire was set at the bottom of a staircase and spread to the second floor.

Many fires have occurred at the building -- which closed in 1992 and is now owned by Smithfield Foods of Virginia -- over the past several years. The latest was a four-alarm fire in January in which two teen-agers were arrested. The owner is negotiating to donate the building to the Essex campus of the Community College of Baltimore County.

Youth, 14, dies of injuries suffered in traffic accident

A 14-year-old South Baltimore boy who was injured Monday night in an automobile accident in Westport died yesterday at Maryland Shock Trauma Center, police reported.

The youth, Christopher Griffin of the 1200 block of Cleveland St., was a passenger in a 1992 Chevrolet Corsica that struck a utility pole in the 2700 block of Annapolis Road about 8: 50 p.m.

Police said the driver, also a teen-ager, lost control of the vehicle while passing a northbound car, crossed the southbound lane and struck a pole. Griffin and three of the other four occupants were ejected. All were taken to Shock Trauma, where Griffin died at 3: 25 p.m. No charge had been lodged pending a review of the accident by prosecutors.

Two men charged in slaying of Cherry Hill man

Two Northwest Baltimore men have been arrested and charged with fatally shooting a Cherry Hill man early Monday outside a service station near Oriole Park, police said.

Arrested Monday morning in a wooded area near their homes were Tigh Taylor, 19, and Kevin Mayfield, 29, both of the 3500 block of Wabash Ave. They were charged with first-degree murder and held without bail at the Central Booking and Intake Center.

Police said Tijuan Dickey, 19, of the 2300 block of Terra Firma Road, was shot about 2: 20 a.m. near the service station in the 400 block of Russell St. and died a short time later at Maryland Shock Trauma Center. Police said they knew of no motive for the killing.

Pub Date: 9/08/99

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad