Hereford's start sweet at temporary home; Bulls beat Dulaney, 4-1, with second-half surge


Hereford's No. 6-ranked girls soccer team christened its temporary home field at Hereford Middle School with a 4-1 victory over Dulaney in a Baltimore County non-league game yesterday.

While the Hereford High stadium field undergoes a renovation, the Bulls (1-0) will play all of this season's home games at the middle school in the afternoon.

Yesterday's game, Hereford's season opener, proved that the Bulls already feel at home at their home-away-from-home.

Sarah Stoltz, Paige Nichol, Alli McKee and Hollis Botti each scored as the Bulls turned a tight first-half game into a second-half romp.

Only a terrific performance by Lions second-half keeper Kim Cherneski kept the Bulls from putting three or four more goals on the board. Cherneski made 10 saves, including three diving deflections and a soaring effort to bat away Heather Bell's hard high shot.

But Cherneski could hold off the Bulls only so long.

"Kim really saved them a lot," said Bulls halfback Stoltz, "but we just needed to keep shooting. Once you make one [goal], it just starts to flow. We played a little tentative in the first half, but in the second half, we got into our rhythm."

Cherneski, a sophomore, blanked Hereford through the first 8: 27 of the second half before Nichol broke a 1-1 tie. In a scramble in front of the goal, Nichol took a tap toward the middle from Bell and shot out of a crowd of defenders.

The Bulls then added two more goals on determined individual efforts from McKee and Botti, an All-City/County second-team striker who set a Bulls freshman scoring record last year.

When McKee went one-on-one with Cherneski, the keeper came out to snuff the ball, but she could not hold on and it popped over her sliding save attempt. No Lions defenders were close, so McKee leaped Cherneski and scored.

Two minutes later, speedy Botti won a 50-50 ball and beat four defenders, including two right on her, in a 40-yard run.

The Lions (1-1) simply did not have enough finishing power to challenge the Bulls in the second half, although Ashley Nesbitt's first-half goal answered Stoltz's and tied the game at 1 for more than 21 minutes.

The Bulls outshot the Lions, 17-5, in the second half and, 30-9, for the game.

"We had a lot of individual effort, but we need to come together," said Lions coach Diane O'Connor, whose team defeated Old Mill, 1-0, last week.

"They did a lot of triangle passing around us and we couldn't get our offense going, because we were always reacting to what they were doing."

Pub Date: 9/08/99

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad