Frazier's patience pays as The Unforgiven wins; Rider hangs back, drives favorite in North stretch; Timonium notebook


Maryland newcomer Ricky Frazier continued his impressive riding yesterday, winning aboard odds-on favorite The Unforgiven in the $50,000 Alma North Handicap at Timonium.

Frazier, a fixture at Delaware Park the past few years, is poised to take over for Edgar Prado as the No. 1 rider for trainers Dale Capuano and Hamilton Smith. Capuano, trainer of seven-time winner The Unforgiven, was impressed with yesterday's score, even though it came in a four-horse race with limited competition.

Frazier showed poise while waiting patiently behind pace-setting Silent Valay. But the rider got The Unforgiven in gear in the stretch and prevailed by a half length. It was 17 lengths back to Brat Girl Too in third. Scalding was fourth and last.

The Unforgiven paid $3.40 and keyed a $6.60 exacta.

Frazier had nine wins during Laurel's final five days and now has five at Timonium.

Staying off the pace a bit was an effective tactic all day, something noticed by Frazier and Capuano. So when the 1 1/16th-mile race started and The Unforgiven rushed to the lead, Frazier took back and settled into second. For a while, it looked like a questionable decision.

Silent Valay maintained a comfortable edge of three to four lengths throughout, but jockey Greg Hutton couldn't hold the pace-setter together and had to settle for second.

"The speed was dying all day, so I didn't mind being second," Frazier said. "Dale told me he was thinking the same thing, but that horse got loose out there. My filly ran a big race to catch her."


It wasn't a good day at the state fair for 78-year old Frank Brown of Baltimore. He was a few steps from his car, parked in the lot adjacent to the backstretch, when he was run over by a loose horse.

With his back turned, Brown was trampled by the 3-year-old gelding Adam Cat, who had evaded his handlers. Brown was knocked unconscious, but was revived at the scene by track patrons and fair first aid officials.

He was rushed to Sinai Hospital about 15 minutes after the incident and required stitches for cuts on the back of his head. He also had a bruised right hand and a sore back.

"All I can remember is parking my car and heading toward the grandstand," he said. "The next thing I know there are people around me and I had blood on my face. I was knocked out for I don't know how long."

Adam Cat, trained by George Morrison, had been vanned to Timonium from Bowie and arrived during the running of the second race. He was entered in the eighth race.

After getting away from handlers, he sprinted out of the stable area and into the parking lot. He was eventually caught, but was scratched from the race.

"If I see that horse again, I'd like to shoot him," Brown said.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad