Tax questions


Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through April 15. See below for how to submit a question.

Do you have to report Social Security income on your Maryland tax return?

The starting point for Maryland taxable income is the federal adjusted gross income, which includes your federally taxable Social Security. However, the Social Security included in the federal adjusted gross income is subtracted out of the income as an adjustment to calculate Maryland adjusted gross income. The result is, Social Security is not taxed by Maryland.

Cindie Rosenzweig, CPA, Hertzbach & Co. P.A.

The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

To ask a tax question, call Sundial, The Sun's telephone information service, at 410-783-1800. Call 410-268-7736 in Anne Arundel County, 410-836-5028 in Harford County, 410-848-0338 in Carroll County. Using a Touch-Tone phone, punch in the four-digit code 6225 after the greeting. To submit questions by e-mail and access an online tax guide, go to The Sun's Web site at

Selected questions will be answered in the Business section. No questions will be answered personally.

Pub Date: 2/26/99

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad