Doves' 2nd-half run dusts old, rising rival; 16-1 burst by Western gives Walbrook new pause


With its first ranking in six seasons, No. 19-ranked Walbrook looked at a victory over No. 9 Western yesterday as an opportunity to rekindle their rivalry.

Not quite yet.

The visiting Doves continued their mastery of the Warriors with a 58-48 victory in a Baltimore non-league matchup that could be a prelude to the city championship in a couple of weeks.

Western, which trailed by two points at halftime, pulled away from the Warriors in the third quarter, using a 16-1 run to build what proved to be an insurmountable 13-point advantage.

Lillian Drumgold led Western (16-3) with 13 points, and Joy Gorham added 11. Jimea Barner led all scorers with 21 for Walbrook (10-4), and Dena McGriff had 11.

The Doves haven't lost to Walbrook since 1992, when the Warriors knocked them off for the city title. That probably was the last great moment in a rivalry that dominated girls basketball in Baltimore from the mid-1980s into the early 1990s.

While the Doves have remained among the area's elite, Walbrook has stumbled the last couple of seasons but appears to be back on track and headed toward capturing the West division title.

The Warriors were temporarily derailed yesterday against Western, which held them without a field goal more than 10 minutes.

"That just threw our game off," said Walbrook coach Vanessa Marion. "I think they lost a little hustle in the third quarter. I thought I motivated them, but something got lost somewhere."

Down 31-29 at half, the Doves ran off 16 consecutive points before a free throw by Walbrook's McGriff ended the streak. Firing three-pointers, the Warriors missed 19 shots in the quarter -- five in one possession.

The Doves moved the ball and got quality inside shots, enjoying their largest lead at 50-36 with 6: 06 remaining after a three-pointer by Latia Few. Crystal Falline helped control the inside for Western with 10 points and 16 rebounds.

"We can run, but patience is our big thing," said Western coach Artie Ulrich. "If we do that, we'll get good shots. They [Walbrook] make a lot of shots when they have to make them, but our experience showed down the stretch."

With Barmer, a transfer from Gwynn Lake scoring 17 in the opening half, including four free throws in the final minute, Walbrook had the halftime lead.

In the second half, though, Western held the All-Metro guard to four points in the final quarter.

"They went inside to their big people, played better defense, and stepped up their game," said Barmer. "It was just like what we were doing in the first half. They did in the second half."

Pub Date: 2/13/99

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad