Tax questions


Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through April 15.

I understand you can now pay your federal income tax by credit card. What credit cards does the IRS accept? Can you pay Maryland income tax by credit card?

The IRS accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express for the payment of income taxes. The service has stated that they prefer payment by credit cards only for 1998 balance-due payments for Form 1040s that are filed electronically. Others that wish to pay by credit card for paper returns that they filed can call 1-888-PAY TAX. Maryland currently does not accept credit cards for the payment of income taxes. Although the IRS will not receive any fee for credit-card payments, users will pay a convenience fee, based on the amount charged.

Aaron Bloom, CPA, Ribis, Jones & Maresca P.A. The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

To ask a tax question, call Sundial, The Sun's telephone information service, at 410-783-1800. Call 410-268-7736 in Anne Arundel County, 410-836-5028 in Harford County, 410-848-0338 in Carroll County. Using a Touch-Tone phone, punch in the four-digit code 6225 after the greeting. You can also submit questions by e-mail through The Sun's Web site: Click on Business.

Selected questions will be answered in the Business section. No questions will be answered personally.

Pub Date: 2/08/99

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad