3 firefighters treated after inhaling fumes

THE BALTIMORE SUN

Three Anne Arundel firefighters were treated at hospitals last night after inhaling chlorine fumes at a house fire in Odenton.

County fire officials said the source of the chlorine was swimming pool chemicals stored on the lower level of the split-foyer, duplex home in the 600 block of Chapelgate Drive.

The firefighters were receiving precautionary checkups after complaining of irritation of the eyes and nose -- two of them at North Arundel Hospital and the other at Anne Arundel General Hospital. They were not identified by name.

The fire, reported about 7 p.m., resulted from combustible material being stored too close to a hot-water heater, the fire department reported.

Damage to the home and its contents was estimated at $85,000. Smoke damaged a neighboring home, a fire spokesman said.

Pub Date: 2/07/99

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
34°