Fields brothers pound out wins, keep perfect marks; Jermaine 13-0, Anthony 11-0 after Glen Burnie victories


The fighting Fields brothers of Washington kept their unbeaten streaks intact in impressive fashion before a sellout crowd of 1,500 at Michael's Eighth Avenue in Glen Burnie last night.

Anthony Fields (11-0) had a tougher time of it against durable Anthony Perry, of Virginia Beach, before stopping him at 2: 06 of the sixth round of their junior middleweight feature bout.

Fields landed lightning combinations almost at will before flooring Perry (8-6-2) with a straight left followed by three solid punches in the fifth round.

Perry survived this pummeling, but another ripping left decked him again in the sixth. He beat the count but referee Bill Holmes wisely decided Perry had taken enough punishment for one night.

Jermaine Fields (13-0), a year older than Anthony, hardly broke a sweat in disposing of overmatched Fidelio Morel, of the Dominican Republic, at 2: 35 of the first round of their scheduled six-round lightweight bout.

Jermaine, who was an Olympic alternate on the United States boxing team in 1996, shook Morel (2-7) with the first solid punch he landed and finished him with a bristling left hook to the chin.

Earlier, Baltimore junior middleweight Charles Clark (7-2-1) passed one of his major tests by throwing a near six-round shutout against journeyman Benji Singleton (19-44) of Charlotte, N.C., who had fought former champions Vincent Pettway and Charles Murray. But Singleton merely tried to survive against the aggressive Clark, who forced the action from the opening bell.

Stylish Orlando Hollis (15-5) of Washington made a punching bag of Bruce Corby (10-9) of Taylor, Pa., in sweeping the six-round junior middleweight bout.

Unbeaten junior lightweight Ernesto Rodriguez of Lanham gave away eight pounds and had some problems solving the left-handed style of Curtis Smith (2-2), of Columbia, S.C., but walked away with his seventh straight victory in a lively four-rounder.

Virginia welterweight Jimmy Lange (3-1) used an explosive left hook to make quick work of Matt Hill (1-1), of Reisterstown. Hill never recovered from the punch and when he was floored by another flurry, referee Malik Waleed stopped it at 2: 41 of the first round.

The judges made it appear far too close as Darryl Hollowell (10-6) of New Carrollton outpunched and outhustled Andre Payne ( 3-6-1) of Newark, N.J., to gain a majority decision in their six-round cruiserweight match. Hollowell bloodied Payne's nose in the second round and landed all the telling punches.

Pub Date: 1/29/99

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad