Gladiators vs. Scorpions a family affair


When Oakland Mills and Glenelg met in a boys basketball game last week, the Scorpions' gym turned into a family reunion.

Each team had a 6-foot-5 star player named Breland. Anthony Breland of Oakland Mills and Eric Breland of Glenelg are cousins.

"There were a bunch of Breland relatives there," said Glenelg coach Jeremy Snyder, whose Gladiators upset Oakland Mills, 66-55, and dropped the Scorpions into a first-place tie with Mount Hebron.

Both first-place teams have 6-1 league records and are scheduled to play Saturday at 3: 30 p.m. at Mount Hebron. Glenelg (4-2) is one game back in the loss column.

Some of the Breland relatives in attendance included: Anthony's mom, Treva, and Eric's mom, Eva, who are twin sisters; Anthony's father, Paul, and Eric's stepfather, Brian Alexander, who played for Atholton; Anthony's older brothers Paul Breland, Michael Hill and Sean Hill, all of whom played for Oakland Mills; Treva's sisters, Ursula Hill, who played for Glenelg, and Virginia Stanton; assistant Oakland Mills coach Joe Lewis, and Joe's mother, Dorothy, who is also Treva's sister; and Lakeisha Breland, Anthony's 13-year-old sister, who is already 5-10.

Missing was Kevin Hill, Anthony's uncle, who played for Glenelg in 1986 against Lewis, who was then playing for Oakland Mills.

"That was the last time that the family all got together to watch one basketball game like this," said Treva Breland. Glenelg also won that game but by a narrower margin, three points.

"You want both teams to win, so there's a lot of tension," Treva said. "But the main thing is that Anthony and Eric both played well."

Anthony scored 18 points, had six rebounds and made several fantastic dunks.

Eric scored 21 points and had 11 rebounds.

Oakland Mills coach Dave Appleby said: "Glenelg's whole team played well, but [Eric] Breland and [Brandon] Robertson especially played beautifully. Glenelg hit its open shots, dealt with our pressure and made its free throws."

The game was won at the foul line, where Glenelg was 19-for-29, including 13-for-15 in the fourth quarter, and Oakland Mills 2-for-8.

Curan Oatts made three three-point shots for Glenelg, while Oakland Mills struggled with three-point shooting.

Snyder called it "the biggest crowd we've played to this season. We got a lot of fast breaks. It was the best transition we've played."

It undoubtedly was Glenelg's biggest win in many seasons. Glenelg won only five games last season and had lost nine straight to Oakland Mills dating to the 1993-94 season.

The game took on added significance because both are Class 1A teams that might meet in the playoffs. That almost certainly would mean another family reunion.

Bears end skid

The Hammond boys basketball team scored its first victory last Wednesday against Long Reach in overtime, 66-65.

The Golden Bears had lost their first 10 games this season.

"It was fun to get that first one," Bears coach Mark Murray said. "There were smiles on faces. Winning does more for you than anything else."

Missed free throws played a large role for both teams. Hammond was 20-for-38 and Long Reach 10-for-23 at the foul line.

Hammond led by two points with two seconds left in regulation with Long Reach shooting two free throws. The Lightning missed the first, but rebounded the second, an intentional miss, and scored to force overtime.

The Bears missed six free-throw attempts in overtime but continued to rebound well.

"Put-backs kept us in the game," Murray said.

Murray praised Datren Awkward and David Hines, each of whom had nine rebounds; point guard Jason Harriman (four rebounds, one turnover); Mark Alexander (seven rebounds in his second game since returning from a broken leg); and David Blevins, an aggressive rebounder who has played despite injuries most of the season.

"Blevins is the toughest kid on the team," Murray said. "He almost had a tooth knocked out in one game, and had a concussion in another. They are just starting to realize how good they can be."

Lights out, Coach

Ken Hovet, whose Oakland Mills football team turned the lights out on 12 opponents last fall on the way to the state Class 1A championship, got a dose of his own medicine Friday after the ice storm.

The Sun's All-Metro Coach of the Year and his family lost electricity at their home in the River Hill district and had to spend the night at a hotel in Baltimore.

"All the hotels around Columbia were filled up," he said.

If that wasn't bad enough, his house lights went out again Monday, after a freak thunderstorm blew through the area.

Pub Date: 1/20/99

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad