Norman Lennon, 61, refinery worker, cab driverNorman...


Norman Lennon, 61, refinery worker, cab driver

Norman Lennon, a refinery worker and cab driver who was paralyzed by a carjacker's bullets in 1994, died of lymphoma Friday at Sinai Hospital. He was 61 and lived in Randallstown.

Mr. Lennon was born in White-ville, N.C., and later moved to the Baltimore area, working at the Kennecott Copper Refinery in Hawkins Point for 24 years.

In 1994, while Mr. Lennon drove a cab near Memorial Stadium, a gunman pulled him from the vehicle, shot him in the face and arm and drove away in the cab.

The wounds, which sent Mr. Lennon to the hospital for six months, left him a paraplegic, unable to use his legs. His assailant was sentenced to Clifton T. Perkins Hospital Center in Jessup, a state facility for the criminally insane.

Mr. Lennon was a fan of jazz, blues and spiritual music. He adopted a needy family annually, buying them food throughout the year and sending the children Christmas presents.

He married Nancy Johnson in 1960.

Services are set for 7 p.m. today at Rising Sun First Baptist Church, 2211 St. Lukes Lane in Woodlawn.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Lennon is survived by two daughters, LaDonna Russell and Lorie Lennon, both of Baltimore; two sons, Air Force Sgt. Anthony Lennon of Fort Meade and Air Force Sgt. Dennis Simms of Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.; six sisters, Juanita Jackson and Miriam McCoy of Baltimore, Joyce Hyde of Denver, and Pamela Black, Margaret Lennon and Willa Hansley of Hampstead, N.C.; and four brothers, Cicero Lennon Jr. and Richard Lennon, both of Baltimore; and James Lennon and Lawrence Lennon, both of Hampstead.

John Harold Knott Jr., 72, vending machine mechanic

John Harold Knott Jr., a self-employed vending machine mechanic, died Saturday of heart failure at Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis. The Arnold resident was 72.

The Baltimore native graduated from Southern High School and served in the Navy from 1941 to 1945 during World War II.

After he was discharged, he held various jobs and since the early 1950s was self-employed as a vending machine mechanic and electrician.

Services are set for 1 p.m. tomorrow at Barranco and Sons Funeral Home, 495 Ritchie Highway, Severna Park.

He is survived by his wife, the former Mary Edwards, whom he married in 1947; three sons, Daniel Knott of Millersville, Howard Knott of Louisville, Ky. and Melvin Knott of Reisterstown; two daughters, Mary Centineo of Severna Park and Karen Fillmann of Arnold; a brother, Edward Knott of Baltimore; 13 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Frank L. Byron, 67, state engineer

Frank L. Byron, a retired engineer, died Tuesday of heart failure at his Lutherville home. He was 82.

He retired in 1980 after working for more than 20 years as an engineer with the Maryland Department of General Services. Before then, he was an engineer for Baltimore County government from the mid-1940s until the early 1950s.

The Baltimore native earned a bachelor's degree from the Johns Hopkins School of Engineering in 1937. He served in the Army from 1941 to 1946 during World War II and was discharged as a major.

Services are set for 10 a.m. tomorrow at the Roman Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception, Baltimore and Wares avenues, Towson.

He is survived by his wife, the former Dona Hughes, whom he married in 1942; two sons, Frank L. Byron Jr. of Colorado Springs, Colo. and Clarke Byron of Lutherville; two daughters, Dona B. Johnson of Towson and Bronwyn Byron of Baltimore; a sister, Blanche DeBaugh of Towson; and three grandchildren.

Pub Date: 1/19/99

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad