Man fatally shoots self after firing at officer, police say


A man who shot a Baltimore police officer attempting to serve an arrest warrant early yesterday apparently shot himself to death during a standoff in the northwest part of the city, police said.

The officer, who was wearing a bulletproof vest, was treated at Sinai Hospital and released.

The discovery about 11 a.m. of the body in the second-floor bedroom of a home in the 5300 block of Cordelia Ave., near Pimlico Race Course, ended a six-hour standoff during which police evacuated some residents of the street and ordered others to remain in their homes.

Police had gone to the home to arrest Terrol Anthony Gordon, 20, for attempted murder in connection with a shooting last week. Sgt. Scott Rowe, a police spokesman, said police believe the dead man is Gordon, but are awaiting a state medical examiner's examination before announcing an absolute identification.

When 10 uniformed and plainclothes officers battered in the front door of the house about 5 a.m., they were met with a volley of "three to five shots," said police spokesman Robert W. Weinhold Jr. Other family members ran into the living room and were shepherded outside the house, he said.

Moments later, the officers were met with a second volley of "five to 10 shots," fired down the stairway from the second floor, Weinhold said.

Detective Michael L. Hennlein, 32, of the Violent Crimes Task Force was struck by a bullet in the upper right rear shoulder, Weinhold said. Most of the bullet's impact was absorbed by Hennlein's vest.

"The most commonly uttered phrase around here today is, 'Thank God for the vest,' " he said.

Rowe said police fired no shots during the incident.

Police entered the two-story, mid-block rowhouse about 11 a.m. after shooting three canisters of tear gas into the house and after making repeated attempts to contact the man by telephone and bullhorn, Weinhold said.

It was not clear last night when the man's gunshot wound to the head occurred, Weinhold said.

After the standoff ended, residents expressed a mixture of shock and sadness.

Delois Ellison, who lives three doors down from the house raided by police, said she was awakened before dawn by the sound of gunfire and spent the morning inside her home with her husband and four young children.

"It's frightening to wake up and hear gunshots," she said. "I feel very sad in my heart that the situation happened. Knowing the times that we live in, it's not unusual."

Rowe said Gordon was being sought for attempted murder in connection with a Jan. 7 shooting in the 5400 block of Jonquil Ave., also in Northwest Baltimore.

Pub Date: 1/14/99

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad